In this exclusive Q&A, we get to learn more about the Medi-Weightloss franchise opportunity from the company’s senior vice president of business development, Brooks Edlund.
Franchise Chatter (FC): Tell us about your background. What led you to become SVP of Business Development at Medi-Weightloss?
Brooks Edlund (BE): My entire career has been in the medical field. Prior to Medi-Weightloss, I held various leadership roles in the medical device and surgical device field. I chose to come to Medi-Weightloss 14 years ago to help build a company that was truly committed to changing people’s lives. The opportunity has been far more rewarding than I could ever imagine.
FC: For those unfamiliar, what is Medi-Weightloss?
BE: Medi-Weightloss is a nationally-recognized weight loss franchise committed to fighting obesity and changing lives. Our franchisees are revolutionizing health and well-being in the United States. Data shows one-third of U.S. adults suffer from obesity, which is considered a national epidemic. We provide clinically-proven, science-driven results that help individuals not only lose weight but keep it off.
FC: What sets Medi-Weightloss apart from other weight loss methods?
BE: The Medi-Weightloss Program is not just another diet – it’s a physician-supervised and clinically-proven approach that helps our patients achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Our professionals focus on preventive medicine. After medical tests and in-depth consultation with each patient, our medical staff creates an individualized and comprehensive weight loss plan for each patient.
Since our program is physician-supervised and evidence-based, certain services provided may be covered by the patient’s insurance plan. Many locations are now accepting insurance and offer in-network providers with major carriers.
Additionally, we have a team of medical professionals continuously researching and developing new weight loss strategies that are effective. Our tests and results are so well known, we were invited to present at the World Obesity Conference in 2014.
FC: How do current health concerns affect the weight loss industry, and how does that illustrate Medi-Weightloss’s recession resistance?
BE: All brands are faced with challenges due to COVID-19, but how they respond to those challenges will define them when they come out of the pandemic. At Medi-Weightloss, we responded with action, not fear. We expanded our protocols to ensure that our franchisees operated in accordance with CDC guidelines and evolved our program to provide our franchises with the option of telemedicine visits and curbside pickup.
For many of our patients, we are their lifeline and last hope in being able to achieve wellness. As an essential business in the healthcare industry, our doors stayed open while we doubled down on our heightened sanitation and social distancing protocols.
As the economy recovered, our innovations resulted in opportunities to increase gross revenue. In fact, after researchers discovered individuals with obesity were at a higher-risk group for COVID-19, our patient volume significantly increased.
We pride ourselves on always focusing on ways to grow and add value to our franchises and continue to provide innovative ways to deliver excellent care to our patients and extraordinary support to our franchises.
FC: What can you tell us about the PROMIS study, and how does this study on weight loss and Metabolic Syndrome make Medi-Weightloss relevant to consumers?
BE: Medi-Weightloss led a large five-year clinical trial called the Prospective Metabolic Indicator Study (PROMIS). This trial was the first of its kind anywhere in the world! The main objective of PROMIS was to identify the prevalence of Metabolic Syndrome (MetS) in patients with obesity and more importantly, to assess the impact of weight loss on the disease process itself. This information allowed researchers to determine the effectiveness of the Medi-Weightloss Program and its role in preventing the onset of MetS as well as other health conditions associated with obesity.
Here are some quick facts:
- 52% of Medi-Weightloss patients screened positive for Metabolic Syndrome.
- After participating in the program for 13 weeks, positive screenings decreased by 45%.
- The prevalence of elevated glucose was also found to have improved significantly at week 13 from 56% to 44% and at week 39 from 54% to 24%.
FC: What can you tell us about the relationship between obesity and COVID?
BE: With the novel coronavirus pandemic sweeping across the globe and the nation, many are looking for answers as to who is at risk. In the United States alone, many individuals 50 years of age or younger have been impacted and some have even fallen victim to the virus. New studies are suggesting that obesity may be a significant predictor of severe COVID-19 illness.
These findings are both alarming and important because the United States has one of the highest obesity rates in the world. According to the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, 40% of American adults, about 80 million people, are struggling with obesity. Obesity affects both the young and old, meaning even younger adults are at high risk of contracting the virus and succumbing to its negative effects.
FC: Why is Medi-Weightloss relevant for potential franchisees?
- Revenue – The top one-third of our franchisees reported generating over $1.515 million in gross revenue in 2019.
- Turn-Key Operation – At Medi-Weightloss, we have been changing lives for over a decade. During this time, we’ve streamlined our business model, taking the guesswork out of running your own franchise. We have the tools and resources that allow you to start immediately.
- Marketing Strategies – As a nationally-known brand, you don’t have to waste time and money introducing your company. You have the power of a well-known name to back your services, which allows you to spend your marketing budget on essentials such as online marketing, print ads, videos, and more.
- Research and Development – We have a team of medical professionals continuously researching and developing new weight loss strategies that are effective. Our tests and results are so well known, we were invited to present at the World Obesity Conference in 2014.
- Signature Products and Programs – Medi-Weightloss provides Signature Products and Programs that are tailored for different audiences. We have proven methods and strategies that work.
FC: What kind of support does Medi-Weightloss offer franchisees?
BE: Medi-Weightloss is proud to say that when you open a Medi-Weightloss franchise, you gain a network of corporate professionals and fellow franchisees to help guide and support you. From day one, you will be working with our team of experts at the Corporate Office. Here are a few key considerations:
- Prior to opening, our Franchise Development team will guide you to a successful opening.
- Medi-Weightloss provides a comprehensive System Standards Training at the Corporate Headquarters in Tampa, Florida. You will also have access to continuing education programs, on-site training, and eLearning.
- Once your location is open, our Franchise Consultants will analyze key performance indicators and assist in the development of actions plans to promote compliance, profitability, and patient retention.
- The Medi-Weightloss award-winning Medical Affairs Team maintains our program as a scientifically and clinically proven program.
- Medi-Weightloss provides you with access to negotiated pricing on supplies through preferred vendors.
- The Medi-Weightloss complete proprietary software package is designed to help you manage your operations.
- The Medi-Weightloss Marketing Team will assist you in developing a marketing plan for your location. National, regional, and local programs are available to you. With an award-winning Graphic Design Team, you have access to customizable advertisements for print, TV, radio, and more.
- Medi-Weightloss has an in-house, Google-Certified Internet Marketing Team offering pay-per-click services and much more!
FC: Who is an ideal franchisee for Medi-Weightloss?
BE: A motivated individual that wants to change lives while joining a financially-rewarding program. Whether you are a physician with a practice or are looking to invest in a weight loss franchise, you can benefit from our successful business structure. A qualifying member must have $450,000 in liquid assets and a $750,000 net worth.
FC: How many locations are currently operating and where is Medi-Weightloss expanding next?
BE: There are currently 92 locations and 3 more are soon to open in the following areas:
- Mechanicsville, VA
- Winter Garden, FL
- Raynham, MA
FC: How can someone learn more about the franchising opportunity with Medi-Weightloss?
BE: If you are interested in becoming an owner, or if you have questions about your potential as a Medi-Weightloss franchisee, contact the Business Development team at 813-722-1219 to get the discussion started. You can also visit our website at MediWeightlossFranchising.com.