In this FDD Talk post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Nékter Juice Bar franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Nékter Juice Bar franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for a Nékter Juice Bar franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section IV – Number of franchised and company-owned Nékter Juice Bar outlets at the start of the year and the end of the year for 2017, 2018, and 2019, based on Item 20 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section V – Presentation and analysis of Nékter Juice Bar’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2020 FDD, including information on the:
- 2019 average, median, highest, and lowest gross sales for the 39 Nékter Juice Bar locations that have been open and operating for at least two full calendar years without any transfers and were owned and operated by franchisees during the full 2019 calendar year
Section I – Background Information
16 Things You Need to Know About the Nékter Juice Bar Franchise
Rolls Out Enhanced Loyalty Program
1. At the end of July 2019, Nékter Juice Bar announced that it had transformed its loyalty program to offer its guests a faster and easier way to earn rewards across multiple menu categories. With the new points-based program, guests will be able to earn enough points for their first reward in just two to three visits and have the option of accumulating points to earn even greater rewards.
2. The launch coincides with the release of the lifestyle brand’s upgraded and fully-integrated mobile app featuring enhanced functionality around gift cards, online ordering, and third-party delivery options.
3. According to Steve Schulze, co-founder and CEO of Nékter Juice Bar, “Nékter Juice Bar’s new loyalty program is easily one of the most rewarding in the juice bar category. We have worked very hard to earn the enduring loyalty of our guests by offering a juice bar experience that excels above the rest. Our new loyalty program is the perfect way to show our guests the same level of love that they show us each day in our restaurants across the country.”
4. While previously rewarded for the number of visits, loyalty members will now earn three points for every $1 spent at Nékter Juice Bar. As they quickly earn points, they can unlock various menu items redeemable online or at any participating Nékter Juice Bar, and will benefit from exclusive insider news and special offers such as free birthday rewards and referral bonuses and more.
5. Where before it took 10 visits to earn a reward, most guests can now earn their first reward, a freshly made ginger or turmeric shot, within two to three visits. They can also choose to save up their points to unlock special discounts, free fresh juices and Superfood smoothies, or free made-to-order açaí and dragon fruit bowls.
Opens First Location in Whole Foods Market
6. At the end of January 2020, Nékter Juice Bar announced that it was opening its first store within a Whole Foods Market, in Porter Ranch, California, on May 22. The opening would be the first of many Nekter Juice Bars within Whole Foods Market locations as part of the Friends of Whole Foods Market program, according to a press release. The program offers an opportunity for businesses aligned with Whole Foods Market’s mission and quality, to establish independent retail spaces inside stores.
7. Nékter will debut a signature coffee menu, featuring local partner Coffee Manufactory, at the Whole Foods Market in Porter Ranch.
8. Steve Schulze, co-founder and CEO of Nékter Juice Bar, said, “Aligning with Whole Foods Market, a brand that is synonymous with high quality and uncompromising standards, underscores our commitment to providing a best-in-class and authentic juice bar experience.”
Introduces Layered Lifestyle Bowls
9. In late May 2020, Nékter Juice Bar launched two new fresh and delicious Layered Lifestyle Bowls. Available throughout the summer at Nékter Juice Bars across the country, the Energy Bowl and Immunity Bowl offer an abundance of vital vitamins and nutrients to help boost health, wellness, energy, and immunity. The two new bowls were available from June 1 through September 6 at participating Nékter Juice Bars.
10. Steve Schulze, co-founder and CEO of Nékter Juice Bar, said, “Now more than ever, America is turning to trusted brands like Nékter Juice Bar to provide essential nutrients and fresh ingredients to help restore mind, body and health. We have always prioritized the health of our guests, embracing their trust in us to create and offer menu items that can help transform their lives. Our new Layered Lifestyle Bowls evolved quickly over the past few months and embody our longstanding commitment to do right by our guests in any environment.”
11. Nékter’s Energy Bowl starts with a Superfood blend of açaí, housemade cashew nutmilk, strawberries, blueberries, banana, and a dose of Guarana for a natural and clean caffeinated kick. Next comes a lush and creamy layer of vegan, dairy-free, and gluten-free coconut yogurt that is also cholesterol-free and low sugar. The third layer of toppings includes hemp granola, fresh strawberries, blueberries, and banana with a dash of agave. All combined, the Energy Bowl is a high-fiber meal loaded with vitamins C and B6 and potassium.
12. The Immunity Bowl is a vitamin C, B12, and B3 powerhouse built on a blended base of pitaya, housemade cashew nutmilk, acerola cherry, strawberry, and banana with a layer of Blue Chia Vanilla Pudding featuring protein-rich Blue Spirulina with powerful antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties to help boost the immune system. Toppings include hemp granola, fresh strawberries, banana, and agave.
13. Nékter Juice Bar was founded in 2010 by Alexis and Steve Schulze in Costa Mesa, California. Alexis Schulze, who had always been into health and fitness, started making her own juices, but found that she typically had to tweak the recipes she followed to make them taste better. Schulze felt that the juices boosted her overall health and thought that she could share her juices with other people.
14. After spending more time developing recipes and testing them on friends and family, Schulze was ready to open her own juice bar with her husband Steve. The first Nékter Juice Bar location was an immediate success and the Schulzes started franchising the concept in 2012.
15. Within a few years, Nékter had grown to over 50 locations, primarily on the West Coast of the United States. Today, Nékter Juice Bar has stores in California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Utah, Colorado, Washington State, and North Carolina. The brand says it plans to open in more states over the next few years.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
16. Nékter Juice Bar ranked No. 128 on Entrepreneur’s 2020 Franchise 500.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Nékter Juice Bar franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2020 FDD.
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on Nékter Juice Bar’s initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2020 FDD.
Section IV – Number of Franchised and Company-Owned Outlets
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 21
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 51
- Net Change: +30
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 51
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 80
- Net Change: +29
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 80
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 116
- Net Change: +36
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 43
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 50
- Net Change: +7
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 50
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 46
- Net Change: -4
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 46
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 43
- Net Change: -3
Section V – Financial Performance Representations (Item 19, 2020 FDD) and Analysis
- There were a total of 116 Nékter Juice Bar Stores owned and operated by franchisees during the full 2019 calendar year. Of these 116, 39 franchisees have been open and operating for at least two full calendar years without any transfers and are a typical Nékter Juice Bar franchised location. Those 39 franchised locations are the ones included in the averages in the chart below.
Franchised Store Gross Sale Averages and Medians Per Quartile (2019)