In this FDD Talk post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for a Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section IV – Number of franchised and company-owned Which Wich Superior Sandwiches outlets at the start of the year and the end of the year for 2017, 2018, and 2019, based on Item 20 of the company’s 2020 FDD
- Section V – Presentation and analysis of Which Wich Superior Sandwiches’ financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2020 FDD, including information on the:
- 2019 average weekly gross sales for the 296 traditional franchised Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Stores open and operating on December 31, 2019, regardless of the length of time the Stores operated during the year, divided into 3 groups: the 92 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales of $11,000.00 and higher; the 102 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and the 102 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99
- 2019 average weekly net sales, cost of goods sold, labor costs, and occupancy costs for the 277 franchised Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Stores open and operating in the United States at least one full calendar year from January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019, and submitted profit and loss statements to the franchisor, divided into 3 groups: the 85 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales of $11,000.00 and higher; the 96 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and the 96 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99
Section I – Background Information
14 Things You Need to Know About the Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Franchise
Launches Wicked Wednesday
1. In mid-January 2020, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches announced the launch of its new Wicked Wednesday campaign. Every Wednesday during the year beginning on January 15, a Regular Wicked will be just $5 for all guests.
2. According to Jeff Sinelli, founder, CEO, and chief vibe officer of Which Wich, “Tacos can have Tuesday. We’re taking Wednesday. When I first launched Which Wich, every other place was slapping together weak, bland sandwiches and I wanted to provide our guests with something you could really feel in your hands and sink your teeth into. Now, it’s time to make Wednesdays much more wicked.”
3. The Wicked, one of the very first sandwiches offered by the 15+ year old brand and one of the brand’s most popular Signature items, features turkey, ham, roast beef, pepperoni, and bacon, plus the choice of three cheeses and any additional toppings.
4. Cherry Hearn, president of Which Wich, added, “More than ever, our Which Wich guests are looking for a great value and that’s what we’re giving them with the Wicked Wednesday offer. The Wicked is a mouthful but unlike other places, we’re not skimping on what’s between the bread. At just $5, it’s the perfect solution to a big lunch time craving or to grab for a fun and easy Wednesday dinner.”
Celebrates Leap Day with ‘Free Food for Four Years’ Promotion
5. In mid-February 2020, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches launched its Leap Day Giveaway promotion. Between February 17 and February 29, all guests subscribed to the brand’s Vibe Club Rewards program who purchased a wich, salad, lettucewich, or wrap were entered into a grand prize drawing to win free Which Wich until the next Leap Day in 2024. The winner of the Leap Day Giveaway was chosen on Monday, March 2, 2020 and will receive a coupon for a free 7-inch added to their Vibe Club account each week for the next four years.
6. Jeff Sinelli, founder, CEO, and chief vibe officer of Which Wich, said, “After we celebrate Leap Day 2020, we will have to wait another four years to celebrate again. So, why not some Which Wich for the long wait? The idea of taking a leap is ingrained in the DNA of Which Wich and it’s also part of the philosophy that I incorporate into how I approach both business and my personal life. With the Leap Day Giveaway, one lucky fan will get to spend the next four years knowing that they’ve got free Which Wich guaranteed.”
Launches Wich Madness Promotion
7. In mid-March 2020, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches announced the launch of its Wich Madness bracket challenge. The brand gave Vibe Club Rewards members a reason to back their Favorite this spring with a special promotion, beginning on March 16 through April 7. Starting on March 23, participants who ordered the winning wiches received prizes, which included free menu items, varying from week to week.
8. Jeff Sinelli, founder, CEO, and chief vibe officer of Which Wich, said, “We’ve always marched to our own beat at Which Wich and March is the time of year to really let that madness fly. The Wich Madness promotion gives all of our valued fans the chance to pick their Favorite and hopefully see that wich make it through to the end. While our wiches aren’t physically able to cut down nets, our fans can net themselves some great freebies if they order the right Favorite.”
9. The Favorites competing for the crown include Philly Cheesesteak, Ultimate BLT, Gyro, Cheeseburgerwich, Banh Mi, Superfood Wich, Reuben, and the Turkey Club. During the promotion, these eight Which Wich Favorites battled it out with Vibe Club Reward members voting with their order to determine which wiches advanced to the next round, and which wich emerged as the ultimate Favorite. Each round, Vibe Club Reward members who had previously ordered any of the advancing wiches were gifted a free menu item.
10. Which Wich Superior Sandwiches was founded in 2003 by Jeff Sinelli, CEO of Genghis Grill at the time, in downtown Dallas, Texas. Sinelli used his years of experience opening independent restaurants, bars, and nightclubs to develop what he hoped would turn into a national franchise. He converted a Subway into the first Which Wich store and used a unique ordering system and high quality sandwiches to stand out from the competition.
11. Which Wich’s ordering system features a brown paper bag, like the kind used for children’s school lunches, with a pre-printed menu. Customers use red Sharpie markers to mark their choices on the bag, and the sandwiches are prepared and then delivered in the personalized sandwich bags.
12. Sinelli’s concept was an instant success, and there was overwhelming demand for additional Which Wich locations. Franchising was launched in 2005 and within five years, the chain hit 100 locations. Which Wich continued to grow over the next decade and in 2018, the brand opened its first overseas location in the United Kingdom. Later that same year, Which Wich launched a new prototype store design and revamped its menu.
13. Today, there are Which Wich Superior Sandwiches stores across the U.S., the UK, Bahrain, Guatemala, Kuwait, Mexico, Oman, Panama, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
14. Which Wich Superior Sandwiches did not rank on Entrepreneur’s 2020 Franchise 500 list.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2020 FDD.
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on Which Wich Superior Sandwiches’ initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2020 FDD.
Section IV – Number of Franchised and Company-Owned Outlets
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 381
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 392
- Net Change: +11
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 392
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 383
- Net Change: -9
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 383
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 355
- Net Change: -28
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 3
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 10
- Net Change: +7
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 10
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 2
- Net Change: -8
- Outlets at the Start of the Year: 2
- Outlets at the End of the Year: 1
- Net Change: -1
Section V – Financial Performance Representations (Item 19, 2020 FDD) and Analysis
Part 1 – Average Weekly Gross Sales for Franchised Stores
- The Gross Sales information below is provided by the 296 traditional franchised Stores open and operating in the United States on December 31, 2019, regardless of the length of time the Stores operated during the year, but does not include the 59 Stores located on college campuses, airports, hospitals, or other nontraditional locations (“Franchised Stores”).
- The franchisor obtained the Gross Sales information from point of sale polling and franchisee reports. This information has not been audited or otherwise verified by the franchisor.
- The information is separated into three categories based on Gross Sales:
- Category A Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales of $11,000.00 and up;
- Category B Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and
- Category C Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99.
- For each category, the franchisor provides:
- (i) the range of Gross Sales for each category and the number of Franchised Stores in the category (and the percent of all Franchised Stores those Franchised Stores represent);
- (ii) the average weekly Gross Sales for all Franchised Stores in the category;
- (iii) the number of Franchised Stores that performed above the average weekly Gross Sales for the category (and the percent of the number of Franchised Stores in that category those Stores represent); and
- (iv) the median amount of Gross Sales for all Franchised Stores included in the category.
- Since the financial performance representation below includes only Gross Sales information, this information does not reflect cost of sales, operating expenses, or other costs or expenses, such as royalty payments and advertising expenditure requirements, that must be deducted from Gross Sales figures to obtain your net income or profit.
Category A Stores: Average Weekly Gross Sales of $11,000.00 and Higher