Updated January 24, 2021.
Detailed Estimates of Pet Wants Franchise Costs Based on Item 7 (Estimated Initial Investment) of Pet Wants’ 2020 Franchise Disclosure Document
For a Pet Wants Store Franchise
1. Initial Franchise Fee: $48,500
- The initial franchise fee for a territory with a population between 175,000 and 200,000 is $38,500 for a Pet Wants Mobile Franchise and $48,500 for a Pet Wants Store Franchise.
- If the population of your territory exceeds 200,000, you must pay an additional $500 for all or part of every 1,000 people over 200,000. The figures above assume you will purchase a standard territory between 175,000 and 200,000 population.
2. Real Estate: $3,200 to $8,000
🔐The Very Best of Franchise Chatter
- A Pet Wants Store typically occupies about 1,000 square feet of retail space, including the warehouse space you will need to store your inventory.
- You will need more warehouse space as your Pet Wants franchise business grows, so the space should be expandable or your lease should be short-term and give you the option to move to larger space with a reasonable notice.
- Based upon a range of $12 to $30 per square foot, you should expect to pay $12,000 to $30,000 per year for rent. The range listed above is the franchisor’s best estimate based upon commercial real estate prices in the Cincinnati, Ohio metropolitan area.
- The figures above represent the rent for the first 3 months.
- These estimates do not include real estate taxes and assume that rent will begin when your Pet Wants franchise opens.
- You should expect the landlord to require the first month’s rent and a security deposit equal to one month’s rent.
- The estimates assume that you will lease space for the franchised business, and so do not include costs related to the purchase of land or the construction of any buildings.
3. Leasehold Improvements: $5,000 to $20,000
- Landlords may, instead of performing some of the work, provide you with credits towards your future rent payments and/or a tenant improvement allowance.
- You will be responsible for complying with all laws applicable to the site (such as the Americans with Disabilities Act), and obtaining all zoning clearances and building permits and certificates.
4. Signage: $3,000 to $7,000
- Signage includes interior and exterior signs that bear the franchisor’s Marks.
- You will be required to erect or affix an exterior sign to the Store premises, or, if prohibited by law or landlord restrictions, the sign may be freestanding as close as possible to the Store.
5. Furniture, Fixtures, and Equipment: $32,000 to $50,000
- The required furniture, fixtures, and equipment consist of the same equipment required for a Mobile Franchise plus product display shelves, cases, and counters for the Store, and will range from $32,000 to $50,000.
6. Vehicle: $1,800 to $8,000
- Before you open the franchised business, you must purchase or lease a delivery vehicle that meets the franchisor’s system standards and specifications. You will use the vehicle to deliver pet food to customers’ homes, so you may need to acquire an additional delivery vehicle as the franchised business grows.
- The vehicle will also serve as mobile advertising and a display for flea markets, farmers markets, street fairs and markets, festivals, dog shows, and similar venues.
- The franchisor estimates the cost of purchasing and outfitting a vehicle will range from $20,000 to $50,000. If you lease a vehicle, you will be required to pay a deposit, the amount of which will vary.
- The low estimate above represents 4 months’ lease payment (a deposit equal to 1 month’s lease payment and the first 3 monthly lease payments) for a vehicle on the low end of the range. The high estimate represents the estimated down payment required if you purchase a vehicle on the high end of the range, plus the first 3 monthly payments.
7. Initial Inventory: $8,000 to $15,000
🚀How to Find, Vet & FUND a Good Franchise. Watch Our Webinar Live or the Recording Later (Register Now – It's Free)
- You will need to purchase an initial inventory of pet food before opening your Pet Wants franchise.
- You are required to purchase all of your inventory from the franchisor or a supplier that it designates which may be an affiliate of the franchisor.
8. Computer System: $1,000 to $3,000
- You will need a web-based ordering and payment system and a portable point-of-sale (POS) system for both a Mobile and Store Franchise and an electronic cash register and POS system for a Store Franchise, plus a computer, printer and other computer-related accessories and peripheral equipment, the latest version of Microsoft Office, accounting software, anti-virus software, and software to manage your inventory, deliveries, reporting, and customer data.
9. Travel and Living Expenses While Training: $1,250 to $3,000
- The franchisor does not charge an additional fee for the initial training, but you must pay all travel, lodging, food, and (for your employees’) wages and payroll taxes for you and your employees during the training program.
- Before you open a store franchise, an employee in addition to yourself must attend the initial training.
10. Initial Telephone, Bank, and Other Deposits: $500 to $1,000
- You are required to maintain at least 1 telephone line for your Pet Wants franchise. Your local telephone service provider will typically require a normally refundable deposit for commercial service.
- You must maintain a separate checking account to be used only for your Pet Wants franchise, and your bank will require a nominal ($50-$100) initial deposit when you open the account.
- Some states also require a deposit for workers’ compensation coverage.
11. Pre-Opening Promotion: $5,000
- Before you open your Pet Wants retail store franchise, you are required to spend $5,000, as directed by the franchisor, towards a Pre-Opening Promotion. This will include marketing materials and advertising to promote the business.
- The expenses will be primarily for vendor fees and for product samples and marketing and promotional materials to hand out to referral sources and at public venues and events such as flea markets, farmers markets, street fairs and markets, festivals, and dog shows that you will attend.
- You may purchase marketing materials such as brochures, mailers, and promotional items bearing the franchisor’s Marks from any approved supplier.
12. Licenses: $100 to $500
- You will be responsible for investigating and complying with any business licensing requirements that apply in your territory at the state, county, and municipal levels.
13. Vehicle Wrap: $2,000 to $2,500
14. Website Set-up: $500
15. Trailer: $0 to $5,000
- You may, but are not required to, purchase a trailer for use in retail sales. The trailer may be purchased from the National Branding Fund, from the franchisor, from an affiliate, or from any approved vendor.
16. Limited Liability Entity: $500 to $1,000
- You are required to form a limited liability entity, such as a corporation or limited liability company, to operate your Pet Wants franchise. Although the franchisor recommends that you hire an experienced business attorney, you may use any attorney or incorporation service to form your limited liability entity.
17. Insurance: $1,500 to $4,000
- The franchisor estimates that the average total annual cost for the required insurance coverage will be between $1,500 and $4,000. The premium is typically due before the effective date of the coverage unless your insurance company offers monthly or quarterly payment terms.
- You must also maintain workers’ compensation coverage and any other insurance that may be required by law in your territory. The cost for worker’s compensation coverage and other insurance is not included in the amount above.
18. Additional Funds for 3 Months: $10,000 to $20,000
- You should have approximately $10,000 to $20,000 of additional funds for a Store Franchise, for such items as payroll expenses, advertising, supplies, operating expenses, and similar items during the initial phase of your business (approximately 3 months).
- You may also incur expenses for business license fees, legal fees, accounting fees, and local permits and operating authorizations necessary to start your business. These fees may vary considerably from one area to another.
19. Total: $123,850 to $202,000
- The total figures listed above do not include compensation for your time or labor. Neither do the total figures take into account any finance charges, interest, debt service, or other costs which you may incur to finance all or any portion of your investment.
For a Pet Wants Mobile Franchise
- Total Estimated Initial Investment: $59,830 to $87,000