In this FDD Talk post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Planet Smoothie franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Planet Smoothie franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for a Planet Smoothie franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section IV – Presentation and analysis of Planet Smoothie’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2017 FDD, including information on the:
- 2016 average and median gross sales for the 93 Planet Smoothie franchised stores located in the United States that were open for at least 12 consecutive months
Section I – Background Information
12 Things You Need to Know About the Planet Smoothie Franchise
Adds Non-Dairy Milk to Menu
1. In late 2016, Planet Smoothie added almond milk to its menu as its first non-dairy milk option. To celebrate the launch of the new option, Planet Smoothie released three limited-time vegan smoothies: Pineapple Tropi-Kale Twist, Salted Peanut Butter Cup, and Strawberry Chia Chiller. Each vegan smoothie was developed with health and allergen sensitivity in mind and was a chance for customers to try out the almond milk option. The smoothies were available from September 5 until January 1, 2017; almond milk has been added as a permanent option.
2. Nicole Butcher, national marketing manager for Planet Smoothie, said, “Almond milk is a fantastic option for consumers seeking dairy-free alternatives and it’s so good you can’t even taste the difference. Planet Smoothie is excited to launch almond milk as an option in stores and continue to satisfy all of our customers with delicious tasting products that cater to specific dietary needs.”
Introduced New Smoothie Bowls Nationwide for Limited Time
3. In early September, Planet Smoothie rolled out its Smoothie Bowls nationwide for a limited time. Prior to the nationwide release, the Smoothie Bowls were only available at a few select locations. The bowls were available until the end of December. There are no current plans to add the items to Planet Smoothie’s permanent menu.
4. The Smoothie Bowls were available in three flavors: Amazon Kick, Daybreak Crunch, and Nutty Brazilian. The Amazon Kick Bowl and Nutty Brazilian Bowl both featured Sambazon açaí, the first and only certified organic, fair trade açaí in the world. The Daybreak Crunch Bowl included fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, and whole grain oats. Just like its smoothies, all of the bowls could be customized with add-ins like leafy greens or toppings like coconut or honey.
5. Nicole Butcher, national marketing manager for Planet Smoothie, said, “We are thrilled to bring Smoothie Bowls to all Planet Smoothie locations for a limited time. All three of them are a refreshing and satisfying option for breakfast, lunch, or even a mid-day snack.”
Added Several Seasonal Flavors to Keep Menu Fresh
6. Planet Smoothie consistently releases several seasonal flavors throughout the year to keep its menu fresh. In May, the brand launched its Crazy for Kiwi smoothies to kick off the summer season. The three smoothies featuring kiwi and Greek yogurt were: Sun-Kissed Kiwi, Easy Breezy Kiwi, and Totally Tropical Kiwi. The smoothies were available until the beginning of September at participating Planet Smoothie locations.
7. At the start of 2017, Planet Smoothie rolled out a line of Balanced Smoothies, which were high in protein and low in calories. The three smoothies featured PB2, a powdered peanut butter that’s full of nutrients and flavor. The Big Bang, Mountain Man Crunch Lite, and Chocolate Elvis Lite, which is a lighter version of Planet Smoothie’s No. 1 selling smoothie, all contained 340 calories or less and had balanced fat-carbohydrate-protein ratios.
8. Planet Smoothie was founded in 1995 by Martin Sprock in Atlanta, Georgia. Over the next few years, Planet Smoothie grew throughout the Southeastern and Northeastern United States. Franchising began in 1998.
9. In 2011, Planet Smoothie was acquired by Tasti D-Lite, LLC, the operator of Tasti D-Lite stores, a frozen dessert chain. A few years later, in 2015, Tasti D-Lite and Planet Smoothie were acquired by quick-service franchisor Kahala Brands. Since then, Planet Smoothie has been focused on delivering exceptional nutritional value and great-tasting items to customers through new innovations as well as an improved supply chain.
10. For example, the brand has developed its own sweetener made from stevia to ensure that its drinks still taste the same, but have fewer calories and a lower sugar content. The brand also started using cocoa powder instead of chocolate syrup in its chocolate-flavored drinks and added leafy greens as an option for any of its smoothies.
11. Today, there are over 110 Planet Smoothie locations across 20 states.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
12. Planet Smoothie has appeared twice on Entrepreneur’s annual Franchise 500 list in the past 10 years. The brand ranked No. 277 in 2010 and No. 339 in 2009.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Planet Smoothie franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD.
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on Planet Smoothie’s initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD.
Section IV – Financial Performance Representations (Item 19, 2017 FDD) and Analysis
- The average gross sales amounts contained in the table below pertain to the historic performance of all Planet Smoothie franchised stores located in the United States that were open for at least 12 consecutive months.
- The time period measured was December 1, 2015 through November 30, 2016.
All Franchised Stores (93 Stores)