In this exclusive Q&A, we will be learning more about Capriotti’s, and its strategic vetting process for potential franchise partners, from its CEO, Ashley Morris.
Franchise Chatter (FC): Can you tell us more about Capriotti’s?
Ashley Morris (AM): Capriotti’s is a fast-casual sandwich franchise that was founded in Wilmington, Delaware in 1976 by Lois Margolet. In every restaurant, we slow-roast whole, all-natural turkeys every day and give all of our menu items extra care by creating handmade meatballs, chopping fresh vegetables, and ensuring all food is held to the highest-quality standards.
This dedication has led to numerous awards for Capriotti’s, including our signature sandwich, the Bobbie, being named “The Greatest Sandwich in America” by thousands of readers across the country and reported by AOL.com.
Today, based in Las Vegas, Capriotti’s still holds the values it was created upon 40 years ago, with both new and loyal fans flocking to the company’s 100 locations across the nation.
FC: What makes Capriotti’s appealing to potential franchisees?
AM: At Capriotti’s, our franchise partners can feel confident serving an extensive selection of menu items that historically keep customers coming back for more. Our locations have a $1.1 million average unit volume, a number high above that of competitors.
Joining a tight-knit family of franchise partners, more than 70 percent of the Capriotti’s system is comprised of multi-unit owners, showing the strength of the brand and the potential for growth.
The brand is backed by a corporate leadership team that offers a continuous support program for franchisees, called CAPMastery. This online and field program provides significant support to franchisees for marketing, retail sales, operations, and growth strategies through every stage of their ownership.
FC: Tell us more about your process in finding potential franchise partners.
AM: When finding Capriotti’s franchise partners, we like to look beyond the numbers and the resumes to identify the values that will drive the franchisee. Our team focuses on the following five key values to determine if the prospective franchisee will fit into our Capriotti’s family:
1. Passion: This is a vital component when searching for franchisees, as passion for the brand correlates with a successful, long-term relationship.
2. Family: It is important to look at fellow franchisees and the corporate team as the family you choose. Who will be the best team player? Who will support their fellow franchisees? Who can you count on to be dedicated in their support to you?
3. Integrity: Integrity is one of the hardest qualifications to look for. One tactic we use is asking questions about the prospect’s peer network, as the number of peers in their circle can align with integrity.
4. Profitability: It goes without saying that your franchise partners should strive for profitability, in order to mutually benefit the relationship. We look for past business experience, knowledge, and drive in order to accomplish this criteria.
5. Genuineness: The Capriotti’s brand is genuine in itself, and we look for partners who are authentic in their motives and eager to join the company for the right reasons.
By using this value-centric approach in our search for the right franchise partners, we have been able to build a national network of quality franchisees, dedicated to helping Capriotti’s thrive.
FC: How has this process helped fuel growth for the brand?
AM: By gaining franchisees who care not only about profits, but are also genuine in their passion for Capriotti’s, we have seen impressive growth for the brand, especially over the past year. In 2017, we signed 50 new franchise agreements, and saw new restaurants open in our hometown of Las Vegas as well as new markets such as Indianapolis and Nashville.
Continuing this momentum in 2018, we are seeking to grow in markets such as Chicago, Baltimore, Pennsylvania, as well as internationally.
FC: How can people learn more about Capriotti’s and its franchising opportunities?
AM: People can learn more about our franchise opportunities by visiting www.capriottis.com.