In this FDD Talk 2017 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for a Which Wich Superior Sandwiches franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section IV – Presentation and analysis of Which Wich Superior Sandwiches’ financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2017 FDD, including information on the:
- 2016 average weekly gross sales for the 393 franchised Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Stores open and operating on December 31, 2016, regardless of the length of time the Stores operated during the year, divided into 3 groups: the 133 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales of $11,000.00 and higher; the 143 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and the 117 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99
- 2016 average weekly net sales, cost of goods sold, labor costs, and occupancy costs for the 118 franchised Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Stores open and operating in the United States at least one full calendar year from January 1, 2016 through December 31, 2016, and submitted profit and loss statements to the franchisor, divided into 3 groups: the 53 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales of $11,000.00 and higher; the 52 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and the 13 franchised Which Wich Stores with average weekly gross sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99
Section I – Background Information
15 Things You Need to Know About the Which Wich Superior Sandwiches Franchise
9th Annual Flag Your Bag Campaign
1. From May 29 to July 4, Which Wich Superior Sandwiches is holding its 9th annual Flag Your Bag campaign to honor both active and veteran U.S. service members with custom-made care packages.
2. During the campaign’s run, customers are encouraged to write heartfelt messages of compassion and support to members of the military on the brand’s signature brown paper bags, which will be filled with non-perishable donations and the thank you notes from customers and employees. After Independence Day, the care packages will be distributed to military bases and veteran support organizations.
3. Some Which Wich locations have partnered with larger organizations to ship donations to active military members stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan.
4. In 2016, Which Wich collected over 15,000 bags. This year, the company has set a goal to collect 20,000 bags.
Ranked in Top Ten of Fast Casual’s Top 100 Movers and Shakers List for 2017
5. In early June, Which Wich announced that the company had ranked in the top 10 of Fast Casual’s Top 100 Movers and Shakers list, which recognized 76 brands and 24 industry executives who have pushed their teams and flourished despite setbacks in the economy.
6. To earn a spot on the list, a brand must show growth and sales accomplishments, enhance the customer experience through the use of technology, and show a willingness to take bold risks that elevate the brand to new heights.
Increase in “Social Restaurant Visits”
7. In early April, Foodable Network released its list of the Top 5 Brands That Grew in Social Restaurant Visits, with Which Wich at the top of the list. Foodable ranks brands based on their Social Restaurant Visits, which are actions consumers take, whether as a mention, photo share, or “check in” on a social media platform referencing a restaurant’s location in a post or within the post’s geo-metadata. Social Restaurant Visits also include other data points such as a customer’s intent to visit.
8. According to Foodable, Which Wich went up 15.93 points in Social Restaurant Visits during Q1 of 2017. Foodable says that one major factor influencing Which Wich’s renewed popularity is new company President Ric Scicchitano, who joined the sandwich franchise in September and aims to guide menu innovation and marketing.
9. Also helping Which Wich’s Social Restaurant Visits score is its rewards program, the Vibe Club, which helps customers rack up points to earn a free 7-inch sandwich. In addition to earning a free sandwich for every 35 points saved, Vibe Club members get free food on their birthdays, a free drink for initially signing up, and random freebies, promotions, and cash giveaways.
10,000 PB&J Sandwiches for Dallas Homeless
10. Charitable giving is important to Which Wich. In mid-2014, it launched its Project PB&J campaign, where for every sandwich sold from the Project PB&J display at any participating Which Wich store, the company gives away 2 PB&J sandwiches to those in need.
11. In late March, during the 2017 Restaurant Franchising and Innovation Summit, Which Wich CEO and founder Jeff Sinelly tasked attendees with making 10,000 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches in just an hour to feed homeless people in Dallas, Texas. Sinelly and the summit’s attendees managed to meet the challenge and ended up making 10,201 sandwiches.
12. Which Wich Superior Sandwiches was founded in 2003 by restaurateur Jeff Sinelly, who had previously founded another chain, Genghis Grill, in downtown Dallas, Texas.
13. The sandwich chain is known for its ordering system, in which customers use a red sharpie to mark up pre-printed menus on sandwich bags. Customers select a sandwich from 10 categories, then choose the bread, cheese, spread, and toppings. After ordering is done, the sandwiches are prepared and served in the personalized sandwich bags.
14. Which Wich began franchising in 2005 and today there are over 400 locations in the U.S. and countries such as Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Guatemala, Mexico, Oman, Panama, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
15. Which Wich Superior Sandwiches has appeared on Entrepreneur’s annual Franchise 500 list almost ever year in the last decade, except in 2007, 2013, and 2014. The company’s highest rank was No. 149 in 2017, while its lowest rank was No. 449 in 2008, which was the first year Which Wich ranked on Entrepreneur’s list. Which Wich also ranked on Entrepreneur’s 2008 Top New Franchises list at No. 40.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Which Wich franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD (updated).
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on Which Wich’s initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD.
Section IV – Financial Performance Representations (Item 19, 2017 FDD) and Analysis
Part 1 – Average Weekly Gross Sales for Franchised Stores
- The Gross Sales information below is provided by all 393 franchised Stores open and operating in the United States on December 31, 2016, regardless of the length of time the Stores operated during the year (“Franchised Stores”).
- The franchisor obtained the Gross Sales information from point of sale polling and franchisee reports. This information has not been audited or otherwise verified by the franchisor.
- The information is separated into three categories based on Gross Sales:
- Category A Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales of $11,000.00 and up;
- Category B Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales from $8,001.00 to $10,999.99; and
- Category C Stores are Franchised Stores with average weekly Gross Sales from $0.00 to $8,000.99.
- For each category, the franchisor provides:
- (i) the range of Gross Sales for each category and the number of Franchised Stores in the category (and the percent of all Franchised Stores those Franchised Stores represent);
- (ii) the average weekly Gross Sales for all Franchised Stores in the category;
- (iii) the number of Franchised Stores that performed above the average weekly Gross Sales for the category (and the percent of the number of Franchised Stores in that category those Stores represent); and
- (iv) the median amount of Gross Sales for all Franchised Stores included in the category.
- Since the financial performance representation below includes only Gross Sales information, this information does not reflect cost of sales, operating expenses, or other costs or expenses, such as royalty payments and advertising expenditure requirements, that must be deducted from Gross Sales figures to obtain your net income or profit.
Category A Stores: Average Weekly Gross Sales of $11,000.00 and Higher