In this FDD Talk 2017 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the CertaPro Painters franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a CertaPro Painters franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for a CertaPro Painters franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section IV – Presentation and analysis of CertaPro Painters’ financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2017 FDD, including information on the:
- 2016 average gross sales (consisting of sales for labor, material, or services) for the 309 CertaPro franchisees that operated a CertaPro franchise for the full 12 months of 2016, including those that are certified and perform commercial services
- 12-month average revenue for the 17 franchisees who have been in production for 24 months as of December 31, 2016 (Production Year Two), sorted into three categories based on revenue; and the 21 franchisees who had been in production for 12 months (Production Year One), sorted into three categories based on revenue
- 2016 average revenue for the 288 CertaPro franchisees that were in production for more than 2 full years as of December 31, 2016
- 2016 total sales for residential and commercial services work produced by all CertaPro franchisees that were active at any time during the year listed, whether for a full year or only a portion of the year, including any that started or ceased operations during the year
- 2016 average revenue, cost of goods sold, gross profit, sales expense, operations expense, marketing expense, royalty and fees, general and administrative expense, occupancy expense, other expense, and EBITDA plus owner’s compensation for 109 geographically diverse CertaPro franchisees, most of whom participate in CertaPro’s Flight Program
- 2016 average EBITDA plus owner’s compensation for the top third, middle third, bottom third, and all 109 geographically diverse CertaPro franchisees, most of whom participate in CertaPro’s Flight Program
- 2016 average revenue for the top third, middle third, bottom third, and all 109 geographically diverse CertaPro franchisees, most of whom participate in CertaPro’s Flight Program
Section I – Background Information
12 Things You Need to Know About the CertaPro Painters Franchise
Celebrating 25th Anniversary
1. This year marks CertaPro Painters’ 25th year in business. The company says that it owes its success to strong leadership at the corporate level and a strong support network of franchisees.
2. CertaPro President Michael Stone says that it’s easy for franchisees to see the growth prospects of CertaPro Painters because painting is a $40-billion-a-year industry. Stone also says that the company encourages its top franchisees to share their best practices in order to help every franchisee prosper.
3. To celebrate the company’s silver anniversary, some CertaPro franchises are offering a discount of $250 off any project of $2,500 or more until December 21, 2017.
4. CertaPro Painters hopes to continue its success by living up to its core values: deliver on its promises, respect the individual, have pride in its service, and practice continuous improvement.
Giving Back to Children and U.S. Veterans
5. CertaPro Painters was founded on “the tradition of delivering extraordinary experiences to others, especially those in need” and the company continues to serve its communities through two philanthropic programs: the Children’s Wellness Initiative, and Homes for Our Troops (HFOT).
6. CertaPro Painters created its Children’s Wellness Initiative as a way for the company and its franchise owners to work with local organizations throughout Canada to improve the lives and well-being of children. Through the Children’s Wellness Initiative, CertaPro has held an annual coat drive, raised funds at a charity BBQ for Children’s Wish Foundation, and painted parts of London, Ontario’s Regional Children’s Museum.
7. HFOT is a privately-funded non-profit organization that builds specially adapted, mortgage-free homes in the U.S. for the most severely injured veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan. CertaPro first started working with HFOT in 2012 by raising funds and offering free painting services. The company continues to work with HFOT today and has contributed more than $400,000 in painting services and donations.
Released New App to Help Job Site Supervisors Increase Productivity
8. In 2016, CertaPro Painters released its Job Site App to help job site supervisors “deliver extraordinary experiences to each and every customer.” According to CertaPro, the top reasons for a job site supervisor to use the app are:
- More timely information to the office about what is happening at the job site
- Improved crew productivity through faster communication with everyone
- Easier to track and remind job site supervisors on each step of the Certainty Service System
- Better daily updates to speed workflow on the current job and get you to the next job faster
- Better management by job site supervisors of their schedule, reducing downtime
9. CertaPro Painters was founded in 1992 in Oakes, Pennsylvania by its parent company FirstService Brands, which also owns California Closets, College Pro Painters, Pillar To Post Home Inspection, Floor Coverings International, BrandPoint Services, Paul Davis Restoration, and TLS.
10. The company is led by President Mike Stone, who was promoted to the leadership position in 2015. Charlie Chase serves as President and CEO of FirstService Brands, Inc.
11. Today, the company is the largest residential painting contractor in North America with over 450 locations in the U.S. and Canada.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
12. CertaPro Painters has ranked on Entrepreneur’s annual Franchise 500 list every year in the last decade. The company’s highest rank was No. 86 in 2007, while its lowest rank was No. 360 in 2017.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of CertaPro Painters franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD (updated).
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on CertaPro Painters’ initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD.