In this FDD Talk 2017 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Uno Pizzeria & Grill franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for an Uno Pizzeria & Grill franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section III – Initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees for an Uno Pizzeria & Grill franchise, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD
- Section IV – Presentation and analysis of Uno Pizzeria & Grill’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2017 FDD, including information on the:
- 2016 average sales for the 71 parent-owned and 34 franchised full service Uno Restaurants open during all of fiscal year 2016
- 2016 average net sales; cost of sales; direct labor; management salary; payroll taxes and benefits; controllables; advertising and business coop; royalties; trash extermination and security; other non-controllables; and earnings before repairs and maintenance, utilities, rent, depreciation, administration, insurance, interest, and taxes for the 71 parent-owned full service Uno Restaurants open during all of fiscal year 2016
Section I – Background Information
18 Things You Need to Know About the Uno Pizzeria & Grill Franchise
New Product Launches
1. In summer 2016, Uno Pizzeria & Grill had its largest new product launch in its history when the Chicago Thin Crust Pizza was added to the permanent menu.
2. According to CEO and President Louie Psallidas, the thin crust pizza is “made with fresh house-made dough, the highest-quality ingredients, and over-the-top flavors and toppings.”
3. Psallidas says that the thin crust pizza joins Uno’s flatbreads and deep dish pizza to provide a full line of pizza offerings and more choices for customers.
4. Getting the recipe right for the thin crust pizza took two years of research and development.
5. Uno’s Executive Chef Andre Fuehr says that Uno’s thin crust pizza stands out from the rest of the competition by using a fresh-made dough with a “flavorful yeasty, hoppy, almost beer-like flavor” and fresh-made sauce using “fresh-packed, vine-ripened, California tomatoes.”
6. Also to keep the thin crust pizza unique to the Uno brand, the pizzas are sliced with a “Chicago-style cut” which means that the pizza is cut into squares.
7. At the time of the launch of the new thin crust pizza, Uno offered five signature flavors: Windy City Works, Whole Hog, Super Roni, Northside Cheese, and Veggie Extravaganza.
8. Also last year, Uno partnered with Venice Bakery, one of the country’s largest manufacturers of gluten-free pizza crust, to begin offering gluten-free pizzas at all of its locations.
9. According to Uno, most customers cannot tell the difference between the gluten-free crust and the regular one.
10. At the time of the launch of the gluten-free pizzas, Uno offered three flavors: cheese, pepperoni, and veggie. The restaurant just added a grilled chicken, goat cheese, and caramelized onion gluten-free pizza to the menu.
Defending the Whole Hog Burger
11. After launching the Whole Hog Burger in March 2016, Uno Pizzeria & Grill came under fire when the high fat/high sodium burger made The Center for Science in the Public Interest’s (CSPI) 2016 Xteme Eating list.
12. According to the CSPI, the Whole Hog Burger, which is made with hamburger, sausage, bacon, prosciutto, pepperoni, four types of cheese, garlic mayo, and pickles, and also comes with both fries and onion rings, has 2,850 calories, 62 grams of saturated fat, and 9,790 milligrams of sodium.
13. In response to the CSPI, Uno said that the burger was created “to be an over-the-top eating experience that would capture the attention of our customers, taste great, and be a fun challenge to conquer.”
14. Uno also stated that the company was not surprised that the Whole Hog Burger made the Xtreme Eating list and that the burger was made for that kind of publicity.
15. After its launch, the Whole Hog Burger became a popular menu item; it is also the inspiration for the Whole Hog Thin Crust Pizza that was launched later in the year.
16. Uno Pizzeria & Grill was founded in Chicago in 1943 by Ike Sewell.
17. Today, there are over 130 Uno locations across 21 states and internationally, in South Korea, the United Arab Emirates, Honduras, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia.
Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500
18. Uno Pizzeria & Grill has not ranked on Entrepreneur’s Franchise 500 list in the last decade. The last time the company appeared on the list was in 2006, when it ranked No. 252.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Uno Pizzeria & Grill franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2017 FDD (updated).
Section III – Initial Franchise Fee, Royalty Fee, Marketing Fee, and Other Fees
- Please click here for detailed information on Uno Pizzeria & Grill’s initial franchise fee, royalty fee, marketing fee, and other fees, based on Items 5 and 6 of the company’s 2017 FDD.