In this FDD Talk 2016 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Mister Sparky franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Mister Sparky franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2016 FDD
- Section III – Presentation and analysis of Mister Sparky’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2016 FDD, including information on the:
- average same-store sales increase for Franchised Business Territories of all Franchised Mister Sparky Businesses that had Net Sales during the entire two-year period indicated (i.e. 2015/2014 and 2014/2013)
- 2015 average net sales for the top 10%, top 11%-25%, top 26%-50%, top 51%-100%, and all Franchised Business Territories of all Franchised Mister Sparky Businesses that had Net Sales during the entire two-year period ended December 31, 2015
- July 2014 to July 2015 average BuyMax Rebates for the top 10%, top 11%-25%, top 26%-50%, top 51%-100%, and all Franchised Mister Sparky Businesses that had Net Sales during the entire two-year period ended December 31, 2015
Section I – Background Information
In Ireland, when you’re having electrical problems, you call up a “sparky,” which is how the Irish refer to their electricians. That’s where the Mister Sparky name comes from since company founder Patrick Kennedy is an Ireland native.
Mister Sparky is one of several franchise brands owned by the Direct Energy group of companies, including Benjamin Franklin the Punctual Plumber and One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning, with Clockwork Home Services handling the franchising.
With the tagline of America’s On-Time Electrician, Mister Sparky was founded in 1996 in Atlanta, GA, and started franchising in 2006, when Kennedy sold his company to partner with Clockwork. Kennedy is still involved because he started the Sarasota, FL, location in 2007.
Since 2006, the chain has grown to 109 locations, six of which are company-owned, and one of which is located outside the U.S. Here’s how Mister Sparky keeps the juice flowing in the residential electrical maintenance, repair, and replacement services industry:
A Wide Range of Services
There are so many different tasks and projects consumers are better off calling in a trained electrician for, such as electrical repairs, maintenance and installation, replacements of ceiling fans, circuits and wiring, generators, lighting, LED lighting, main electrical panel work, smoke alarms, sub panel work, surge protection, and whole-house electrical evaluations.
Mike Rowe Partnership
Mike Rowe has made a name for himself on cable television by highlighting all kinds of hard work skilled laborers perform to keep life civilized for the rest of us. His first hit series was the popular TV show, Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, which ran for eight seasons on the Discovery Channel. His new show is called Somebody’s Gotta Do It on CNN. He’s become a spokesperson for Mister Sparky and appears in its television commercials.
Power Club Membership
Customers can also get some peace of mind by paying a small monthly fee to be part of a service plan. The fees include one annual professional safety inspection and one panel rejuvenation of the member’s electrical system. When service or repair is needed, members enjoy a 10% discount and waiver of dispatch fees when breakdowns occur.
Superior Customer Service
Mister Sparky takes customer-centricity quite seriously. Besides the on-time commitment, at Kennedy’s Sarasota location, every office employee has to keep a mirror on their desks that they smile into as they reach to answer the phone because he’s convinced people can “hear” a smile in your voice.
Field technicians are expected to keep their company uniform pressed and shoes shined on a daily basis, along with neatly trimmed hair and a clean-shaven face – this is all to combat the idea that tradesmen are a bit rough around the edges.
Ads and Promotions
The jingle at the end of Mister Sparky ads is surprisingly catchy: You don’t have to put up with any malarkey, call 888-8-SPARKY. They also often use another catchy phrase in their advertising to highlight their on-time commitment: We’re on time, you’ll see, or the repair is free!
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Mister Sparky franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2016 FDD.