In this FDD Talk 2016 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the You Move Me franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a You Move Me franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2016 FDD
- Section III – Presentation and analysis of You Move Me’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2016 FDD, including information on the:
- 2013, 2014, and 2015 average gross revenue, median gross revenue, and average job size for You Move Me franchisees operating in the United States for 12-24 months, greater than 24 months, and for at least 1 day, respectively
- 2013, 2014, and 2015 average gross revenue, median gross revenue, and average job size for You Move Me franchisees operating in Canada for 12-24 months, greater than 24 months, and for at least 1 day, respectively
Section I – Background Information
No one likes moving – the packing, the worrying, the schlepping – it’s all a royal pain in the neck. And that’s why founder and CEO Brian Scudamore decided to start You Move Me in 2012, and started franchising the concept that same year.
When the company announced it would launch in 25 cities all at the same time, people thought they were joking. They weren’t. As of now there are 37 locations, six of which are outside the U.S.
The company has managed to come up with an approach that makes moving “almost fun” for everyone involved.
You Move Me is part of the O2E (ordinary to extraordinary) Brands’ growing family of companies that includes Shack Shine, Wow 1 Day Painting, and 1-800-Got Junk? Here’s how You Move Me keeps people moving with a positive attitude in the moving industry:
A Winning Franchise System
O2E Brands got its start back in the 1990s with 1-800-Got Junk? This junk removal chain got excited about something most people hate to even think about, getting rid of all that stuff that feels like a burden. The chain quickly became the largest junk removal company in the world.
O2E brought the same fresh thinking to residential painting with Wow 1 Day Painting in 2008, and now You Move Me is benefiting from the same approaches to become a moving chain to reckon with.
The company has already moved more than 40,000 people all over North America.
A Customer-centric Approach
You Move Me differentiates itself on superior customer relations. As it explains on its website: “Our mission is to move people, not just their boxes. Our unique brand speaks to our customers like no other in the moving business. Our brand promises are what set us apart. Whether it’s delivering fresh coffee on moving day or leaving a housewarming plant at the end of each move, we’re not like other moving companies. We really, really care!”
Commitment to Exceed Expectation
The chain’s approach is to always be on-time, so whatever schedule has been agreed upon, customers know the movers will arrive on time and get the job done. The company is also completely transparent and up-front with its pricing, which is a welcome change from many companies with their gimmicks, hidden fees, and extra charges. The movers arrive in crisp, clean uniforms and have been trained to handle everything with care. And the moving trucks are even clean and shiny!
Packing is an Art
If it’s the packing that stresses some people out, You Move Me can provide expert packing services. They are outfitted with all the right sizes of (branded) boxes, tape, packing paper, bubble wrap, storage pads, floor runners, etc. You don’t even have to take clothes off the hangers with their specialty wardrobe boxes. The company will happily do a whole-house pack-up or just pack individual items as needed.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of You Move Me franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2016 FDD (updated).