Detailed Estimates of Restoration 1 Franchise Costs Based on Item 7 (Estimated Initial Investment) of Restoration 1’s 2016 Franchise Disclosure Document
1. Franchise Fee: $47,500
- The initial franchise fee is $47,500 for a Territory up to 250,000 in population and an additional $175 per 1,000 people over 250,000.
- The franchisor offers a $7,000 discount if you were honorably discharged from any branch of the United States military in the 10-year period before you apply to become a franchisee.
- Financing may be available through Restoration 1 Franchise Holding, LLC.
2. Real Estate/Rent: $0 to $450
- You can operate the Franchised Business from an office you set up in your or your designated manager’s home. You will also need up to 150 square feet of space to store service tools and equipment.
- The low estimate assumes that you have adequate storage space in an attached garage or other home-based storage area. The high estimate assumes that you will lease storage space and will pay a security deposit equal to 2 months’ rent to lease the unit.
- Estimated rental costs for 3 months are included with the category “Additional Funds.”
3. Renovations and Improvements: $250 to $500
- To adapt the office and storage area for the Franchised Business, you may need to make some minor renovations or improvements.
- The cost of renovations and improvements will vary depending on factors including the size, condition, and location of the facilities, local wage rates, and the cost of materials.
- The low estimate assumes that fewer improvements are needed.
4. Office Equipment and Supplies: $300 to $1,000
- You must purchase general office supplies including stationery, business cards, and typical office equipment.
- Factors that may affect your cost of office equipment and supplies include local market conditions, competition among suppliers, and other factors.
5. Service Tools and Equipment: $500 to $35,000
- You must purchase brooms, mops, buckets, vacuum cleaners, digital cameras, standard tools and hardware, and may purchase or lease dryers, blowers, and other service equipment for use in the operations of the Franchised Business.
- The low price range is based on leasing through a third party.
- Factors that may affect your cost of service tools and equipment include local market conditions, competition among suppliers, and other factors.
6. Uniforms: $250 to $650
- The range of costs provided represents an initial supply of uniform shirts that meet the franchisor’s standards and specifications.
- The costs will vary depending on the number of employees that you hire and the quantity of uniform shirts that you order.
7. Computer and Software: $500 to $2,500
- You must purchase a computer and software necessary for operating the Franchised Business.
8. Training: $1,200 to $3,500
- The franchisor’s charge for providing its initial training is included in the franchise fee, but you are responsible for travel, local transportation, meals, and lodging incurred to attend initial training.
- The total cost will vary depending on the number of people attending, how far you travel, and the type of accommodations you choose.
9. Vehicle: $0 to $35,000
- You will need a tradesman van to accommodate the required equipment.
- The low estimate is based on the assumption that you own an acceptable late model tradesman van. The high estimate represents the estimated purchase price of a tradesman van.
10. Signage: $2,500 to $4,500
- This range includes the cost of vehicle signage for one tradesman van that you will use to operate the Franchised Business. The signage requirements and costs will vary based upon the local market for vehicle sign makers.
11. Insurance: $2,500 to $5,000
- You must purchase insurance as required by state law and of the type and with minimum limits as the franchisor specifies.
- Factors that may affect your cost of insurance include the size and location of the Franchised Business, value of the renovations and improvements, equipment, inventory, number of employees, and other factors.
12. Licenses and Permits: $250 to $5,000
- State and local government agencies typically charge fees for occupancy permits, operating licenses and permits to make improvements to your office and storage area.
- The low estimate represents the costs of standard occupancy permits and operating licenses. The high estimate represents the costs of standard occupancy permits and operating licenses, costs for building permits, and costs to obtain a contractor’s or an engineer’s license.
- Your actual costs may vary from the estimates based on the requirements of state and local government agencies.
13. Certifications: $700 to $2,500
- To be the primary owner of a Restoration 1 franchise, you must be certified by the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification as a Water Damage Restoration Technician, and also preferably, but not mandatory, as an Applied Structural Dryer, Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician, and Applied Microbial Remediation Technician.
- Or you must obtain a Certified Microbial Remediation certificate from the organization American Council Accredited Certification.
- The low estimate in this category assumes that you do not need to travel outside of your area to obtain the certifications. The high estimate in this category includes estimates of travel, local transportation, lodging, and meals in addition to tuition, course materials, and exam fees for all three certifications.
14. Legal and Accounting: $1,500 to $2,000
- You will need to employ an attorney, an accountant, and other consultants to assist you in setting up your business.
15. Additional Funds (3 months): $20,000 to $30,000
- The franchisor sets forth an estimate of your needed additional funds for a three-month period.
- However, the franchisor estimates that you will be required to put additional funds into the business for a 3- to 7-month time period, and sometimes longer. You should therefore consider the estimates as minimum amounts and may wish to have additional cash reserves.
16. Total: $77,950 to $175,100
- In compiling this chart, the franchisor relied on its and its affiliates’ industry knowledge and experience.