This post was updated on January 4, 2016 to reflect information from Fish Window Cleaning’s 2016 FDD (Item 7).
Detailed Estimates of Fish Window Cleaning Franchise Costs Based on Item 7 (Estimated Initial Investment) of Fish Window Cleaning’s 2016 Franchise Disclosure Document
For Standard Package (contains a population of approximately 200,000 persons)
1. Initial Franchise Fee: $44,900
2. Travel and Living Expenses to Attend and During Training: $1,500 to $2,500
- Training is included in the Initial Franchise Fee.
- You must pay the salaries, fringe benefits, travel costs and expenses to the franchisor’s headquarters in St. Louis for training, and related costs for all persons associated with you who attend the training program.
- There is no separate fee for two persons to attend the initial training program as it is included in the Initial Franchise Fee.
3. Equipment Package: $8,500 to $9,500
- You must purchase an Equipment Package and an Office Package.
- The cost of the Equipment Package ranges from $7,500 to $8,000. The Equipment Package provides all the cleaning equipment needed for two window cleaners.
- The cost of the Office Package ranges from approximately $9,000 to $11,000, which includes $5,000 to $6,000 you pay to the franchisor for invoices, estimate sheets, brochures, training materials, and software.
- The Office Package provides all the office supplies and equipment needed to open your business, including your computer and printer equipment, office furniture, and the Fish Window Cleaning computer software package.
- If needed, your computer, printer equipment, and office furniture must be purchased on your own from a third party supplier.
- Also included in the Office Package is your initial supply of maps, motivational posters, employee recognition plaques, and other miscellaneous office supplies.
4. Office Package: $9,000 to $11,000
5. Initial Business Development and Marketing: $20,200 to $22,200
- The Initial Business Development and Marketing expense includes your Business Development Package Fee of $6,000; your required expenditures during weeks 1-12 for your Monthly Marketing Requirements; certain items you purchase from the franchisor, such as brochures, yard signs, and logo sales tools; and business cards, Fish Window Cleaning logo uniforms, and other miscellaneous items that you are required to purchase through the franchisor’s approved vendors.
6. Vehicle: $1,000 to $2,000
- The high estimated amount is for the first three months of payments on a vehicle that you purchase. The franchisor estimates that it will cost up to $20,000 to purchase a vehicle per the franchisor’s standards and specifications.
7. Vehicle Modification: $1,400
- You must use a company approved by the franchisor to paint the vehicle and apply the approved signage, including the logo, on your vehicle.
- You are prohibited from placing any third-party advertising on your custom vehicle without the franchisor’s written approval.
8. Attorneys’ Fees: $500 to $2,000
- This amount is an estimate for attorneys’ fees in connection with your purchase of the franchise.
9. Office Space for 3 Months: $1,500 to $2,100
- The franchisor requires you to have an office outside the home. Depending on locale, office rent may cost from $500 to $700 per month.
10. Insurance Premiums: $1,800 to $2,800
- Insurance premium estimates are for comprehensive liability insurance only.
11. Business Licenses and Membership Dues: $25 to $900
- Licenses and permits may cost between $25 and $300 annually depending on your locale and your choice of business entity.
- The franchisor may require that you maintain memberships and pay membership dues to both the IWCA (International Window Cleaner’s Association) and the IWCCI (International Window Cleaner Certification Institute). The dues are approximately $600 annually.
12. Additional Funds for 3 Months: $15,400 to $16,400
- This amount estimates your initial pre-opening and start-up expenses not otherwise mentioned in the table, including taxes, telephone and fax requirements, and potential payroll costs.
13. Total: $105,725 to $117,700
- This total is an estimate of your initial investment and is based upon the franchisor’s estimate of average costs and market conditions prevailing as of the date of the 2016 Disclosure Document and the franchisor’s over 18 years and its predecessor’s 38 years of experience in the Business.
For Small Package
- The total estimated initial investment necessary to begin operation of a Fish Window Cleaning franchise (small package – contains a population of approximately 75,000 persons) ranges from $83,225 to $98,100.
For Executive Package
- The total estimated initial investment necessary to begin operation of a Fish Window Cleaning franchise (executive package – contains a population of approximately 400,000 persons) ranges from $131,225 to $146,200.