Updated October 20, 2019.
Detailed Estimates of Ben’s Soft Pretzels Franchise Costs Based on Item 7 (Estimated Initial Investment) of Ben’s Soft Pretzels’ 2019 Franchise Disclosure Document
For a Traditional or Captive Venue Store
1. Initial Franchise Fee: $15,000 to $30,000
- The initial franchise fee is $30,000. For an additional franchise, the initial franchise fee is $25,000.
- For an honorably discharged veteran, the initial franchise fee is $15,000 for a first franchise and $10,000 for an additional franchise.
- The franchisor also offers a program which allows for deferred payment of part of the initial franchise fee to franchisees willing to commit to open up three Stores. As noted in Item 5, the total initial franchise fee for this program is $65,000, $47,500 of which is due when you sign the Franchise Agreements for the three Stores. The program is not offered at further reduced fees for honorably discharged veterans. You will sign all three Franchise Agreements at the same time.
2. Travel and Living Expenses During Training: $1,000 to $10,000
3. Office Equipment and Supplies: $500 to $1,000
4. Business Insurance: $1,000 to $4,000
5. Professional Fees: $5,000 to $10,000
- Accountant, attorney, and architect fees are included. The franchisor requires that you have CAD drawings and 2D development of your space.
6. Initial Inventory: $2,150 to $6,500
7. Live Large Initial Inventory: $350 to $1,000
8. Security Deposit: $1,600 to $12,000
9. First 3 Months’ Rent: $3,600 to $18,000
10. Leasehold Improvements: $25,000 to $125,000
11. Equipment, Including Starter Kit, Display Cabinets, and Countertops: $27,500 to $65,000 (with $4,500 to $11,500 potentially payable to the franchisor’s affiliate)
12. Signage: $1,000 to $5,000
13. Furniture and Fixtures: $2,000 to $5,000
14. Business Licenses and Permits: $500 to $2,000
15. Grand Opening Advertising: $1,000 to $5,000
16. Additional Funds for First 3 Months: $20,000 to $40,000
- This item estimates your initial start-up expenses. These expenses do not include any draw or salary for you nor any repayment of debt obligations. These figures are estimates and the franchisor cannot guarantee that you will not have additional expenses starting the business.
- Your costs will depend on factors such as:
- how thoroughly you follow the franchisor’s methods and procedures;
- your personal discipline, dedication, and commitment;
- your sales ability;
- your management skill, experience, and business acumen;
- local economic competition;
- the local market for your products and services;
- the prevailing wage rate;
- advertising expenditures;
- competition; and
- the sales level reached during the initial period.
- These estimates are provided solely to indicate possible working capital requirements and the franchisor makes no representation that any franchise will experience these costs.
- The franchisor relied on its officers’ pretzel store experience since 2008 to compile these estimates.
17. Total: $107,200 to $339,500
- The franchisor does not generally offer financing directly or indirectly for any part of the initial investment.
- The availability and terms of financing will depend on factors such as the availability of financing generally, your creditworthiness, collateral you may have, and lending policies of financing institutions.
- Amounts paid to the franchisor or the Advertising Fund are not refundable. Amounts paid to others may not be refundable.
For a Mobile Store
- Total Estimated Initial Investment: $89,000 to $246,500
- If you will operate a Mobile Store, you will need a truck or a trailer that meets the franchisor’s standards and specifications. The franchisor worked with vendors to establish the cost estimate.
- The franchisor’s estimate assumes you will lease or buy a basic truck and it does not include the costs to brand the vehicle, which is included in Signage.
- The low estimate assumes that you finance the truck. The high estimate reflects anticipated costs if you purchase the truck.
- Your costs may be higher if you choose a more expensive truck.