In this FDD Talk post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the GymGuyz franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a GymGuyz franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD
- Section III – Presentation and analysis of GymGuyz’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2015 FDD, including information on the:
- 2014 gross sales for one franchised GymGuyz business that was in operation for at least 6 months in 2014, servicing a territory population between 150,000 and 200,000
- 2014 gross sales, advertising and marketing, auto and truck, computer and internet, equipment purchases, insurance, merchant processing fees, office expense, payroll wages, payroll taxes, payroll processing, professional fees, rent, subcontractors, telephone, utilities, all other expenses, total expenses, and EBITDA for one affiliate-owned GymGuyz business that has been in continuous operation since 2008, servicing a core area in Nassau County, New York with a population of approximately 75,000 people, and with two trucks and trainers in operation
Section I – Background Information
Stories about “first-in-the-nation” franchise concepts are hard to come by, but this is one of them. GymGuyz is the very first in-home mobile personal training and fitness franchise. The trainings can be one-on-one at a person’s home, or group trainings conducted at businesses and organizations.
Josh York created the GymGuyz concept in 2008 and then started franchising in 2013. All during those first years there was just the one company-owned location. By the end of 2014, they had 10 franchised outlets. (One franchisee executed an agreement for 14 territories, of which 9 were opened in 2014.)
Here’s how GymGuyz gives personal attention to its customers in the highly competitive fitness industry:
The 3 Cs of Workouts
Convenient, Customized, and Creative – that’s what goes into making an awesome in-home training experience.
What could be more convenient than having your personal trainer show up at your home to lead you through a top-notch workout? For many, this feels like something in which only rich celebrities can indulge, but GymGuyz makes it a reality for regular people. They’ll also meet you in a park or any other setting of your choice.
Each workout is customized for the individual or group. GymGuyz vans are packed full of the best fitness equipment you’ll ever need.
And as for creativity, the chain claims that no two workouts are ever the same.
You could also add a fourth C – certified coaches, all of whom have received extensive training in delivering the core philosophy of GymGuyz.
No Memberships, First Visit Free
There are no memberships and the first visit is always free. At that initial visit, the trainer will make a full assessment of a person’s body, fitness level, and nutritional practices. Reassessments take place every fifteen weeks to make sure progress is being made on the goals you’ve set.
And it doesn’t matter what your current level of fitness or ability might be – GymGuyz will work with anyone. This is about establishing life-long habits that will help everyone look and feel their very best.
Something for Everyone
It’s amazing what GymGuyz offers – there’s literally something for everyone, including weight loss, body sculpting, bodybuilding, weight training, therapeutic athletic/stretch, strength training, senior fitness, obstacle course training, kickboxing, group training, corporate fitness, post- and pre-natal exercise, pool workouts, pre-teen and teen fitness training, cardio fitness, professional sports conditioning, nutrition counseling, deep tissue massage, Swedish massage, and sports massage therapy.
Sam Langer wasn’t very happy as a sports planner at ESPN, but has always been a fitness buff. When he heard about the GymGuyz concept, he jumped on board as a franchisee in March of 2014. Within two months he had paid off the franchise fee, and within five months has paid off all his startup costs, was operating in the black, and had four personal trainers working for him.
This can also be a relatively low-startup-cost franchise compared to many.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of GymGuyz franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD.