In this FDD Talk 2015 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Minuteman Press franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Minuteman Press franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD
- Section III – Presentation and analysis of Minuteman Press’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2015 FDD, including information on the:
- 2014 average gross sales of franchised Minuteman Press Printing Centers in the Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, Southwest, and all of the United States, respectively, that were in business for one year prior to the study
- number of Minuteman Press franchisees attaining gross sales of over one million dollars in 2014
Section I – Background Information
The first Minuteman Press was opened in 1973 in the town of Plainview, NY, by Roy Titus and his son, Bob. From the start it geared its operations towards serving local businesses.
Its basic premise is that every single business, however large or small it might be, needs to develop a robust brand identity. Minuteman Press helps those businesses accomplish that task quickly and efficiently through its design and printing services.
The company began franchising in 1975 and is still family-owned, now headquartered in Farmingdale, NY, with more than 940 locations in the U.S., Canada, and throughout the world (United Kingdom, South Africa, and Australia).
Here’s how Minuteman Press keeps things hopping in the intensely competitive print industry:
Changing with the Times
The Internet and Digital revolutions have had huge impacts on all kinds of industries, including the printing industry. Minuteman Press has managed to not only roll with the changes but leverage them for competitive advantage in this ever-changing landscape. From constantly improving speed and efficiency to online design, ordering, and proofing, the chain is making the most of what the digital age has to offer.
More Than a Print Shop
Minuteman Press has gone several steps further from just printing up whatever it is a business thinks they need. Franchise owners and their staff consult with local businesses to help them figure out their advertising and marketing strategies and efforts. Extra efforts such as these help guarantee high rates of repeat business, allowing the company to position itself as a marketing service provider.
The chain’s efforts to stay current and relevant to its customers have clearly paid off. Minuteman Press has been ranked the #1 Printing Franchise by Entrepreneur Magazine 23 times.
Growth Here and There, Not Everywhere
What’s interesting when you examine the Minuteman Press location numbers carefully is that domestically, the number of locations has been declining since 2011, when it had 711 locations, whereas now in 2015 it only has 688. But internationally the chain is growing at a modest rate, having added more than 27 locations in the last 4 years.
Fast printing remains the bread-and-butter business of Minuteman Press, and it excels at it. Quick Printing magazine puts together a list of the top 100 quick printers in the nation, and four of those slots in 2014 were Minuteman Press locations, including #20 (Hunt Valley, MD), #36 (Minneapolis, MN), #37 (Clifton, NH), and #57 (Glen Burnie, MD).
A Winning Model
For franchisees, every single local business out there is a potential customer, which means there’s nearly limitless opportunities to acquire new customers in geographic locations of decent size. Just look in the yellow pages of your local telephone directory and you’ll see all your potential customers.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Minuteman Press franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD (updated).