In this FDD Talk 2015 post, you’ll learn the following:
- Section I – Background information on the Navis Pack & Ship franchise opportunity, including relevant news updates
- Section II – Estimated initial investment for a Navis Pack & Ship franchise, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD
- Section III – Presentation and analysis of Navis Pack & Ship’s financial performance representations, based on Item 19 of the company’s 2015 FDD, including information on the:
- 2014 average gross sales and range of gross sales for the top third, middle third, bottom third, and all franchised commercial centers open 12 months or more as of September 30, 2014
- 2014 average gross margin for all franchised commercial centers open 12 months or more as of September 30, 2014
Section I – Background Information
Although a lot of retail sales have shifted from the brick-and-mortar world to the virtual world of Internet stores, there will always be a need to pack and ship items to get them from the seller to the buyer, which is why a franchise like Navis Pack & Ship will likely never go out of style.
The company offers custom packing and shipping services, specializing particularly in large, fragile, valuable items. As Navis puts it on their website: “Millions of goods are packaged and shipped every day by people who are uncertain, overwhelmed and confused on how to get goods down the street, across the country or around the globe. We eliminate the stress and ensure our customers’ belongings, no matter how big, small, delicate, old or fragile, move safely from point A to point B.”
The company acts as a business partner for both national and international mail and parcel centers, retail businesses, movers, freight and shipping companies, auction houses, and more. Navis uses practices and methods based on over 30 years of experience. Since 2002, Navis has handled over 261,000 shipments worldwide, valued at more than $242 million.
Here’s how Navis keeps things moving in the custom packing and shipping segment:
Navis Pack & Ship offers comprehensive training, marketing, sales, operations, and technology support to assist franchisees before they open their doors and as they build their business to its full potential. Navis management team members have more than 150 combined years of experience in franchising, sales, management, operations, and marketing from which franchisees will benefit.
Support includes two weeks of customized franchise operator training; support with site selection, lease review, equipment, fixtures, and supplies; a home office sales and new business development team that drives inquiries, leads, and national accounts to franchisees; marketing and communication support for both Internet and print marketing strategies to drive lead generation; and proprietary business technology that streamlines business processes.
Navis maintains long-standing relationships with major shipping companies and movers. As part of the Annex Brands franchise network, franchisees will have established partners in their business from day one. The company also has relationships with businesses who utilize Navis as their external shipping and receiving department, which means franchisees will be immediately connected to people who really need the services.
With a Navis Pack & Ship franchise, one thing you can be sure of is the hours – always Monday-Friday, 8 to 5. No weekends, no nights, no holidays. If you’re coming from the retail grind, this can be very attractive.
A Tricky Business
The danger in this type of franchise, especially when you’re talking about moving people’s personal belongings and heirlooms, is that a misstep here or there can really damage your reputation. If you do a Google search on Navis Pack & Ship, you’ll find some pretty blistering reviews of some locations, indicating that it can be really difficult to maintain your online reputation as a franchisee.
Section II – Estimated Costs
- Please click here for detailed estimates of Navis Pack & Ship franchise costs, based on Item 7 of the company’s 2015 FDD.