Highlights of Batteries Plus’ Item 19 Financial Performance Representations (2012 FDD) – Part 1
- Batteries Plus, L.L.C. offers individual and multiple unit franchises for the operation of Batteries Plus stores (“Stores”), selling batteries, light bulbs and other lighting solutions, and related items for the retail consumer and commercial accounts.
- The total investment necessary to begin operation of a Store is from $189,100 to $379,500. This includes $90,935 to $145,675 that must be paid to the franchiser or its affiliates.
- If you sign a Multiple Unit Franchise Agreement, you must also pay the franchiser $10,000 for each Store you commit to develop.
- Under Section I, the franchiser has provided an unaudited statement of average net revenue, merchandise margin, net revenue percentage increase, and percentage of net revenue in total and by customer type based on franchised and company-owned Batteries Plus stores operating as of December 31, 2011.
- Under Section II, the franchiser has provided an unaudited statement of net revenue, expenses, and EBITDA for company-owned Batteries Plus Stores owned and operated for 5 years or more.
- In Sections I and II, the information provided reflects net revenues of Batteries Plus Stores for bulb products, although many of the Stores included in Sections I and II only began introducing light bulbs in 2011. All new stores must offer bulb products.
- Information for franchise-owned Stores has been taken from their respective POS Systems. The franchiser has not audited or verified these reports.
Section 1- Batteries Plus Unaudited Statement of Average Net Revenue, Merchandise Margin, Net Revenue Percentage Increase, and Percentage of Net Revenue by Customer Type
- Except for where specifically noted, the following statements are based on information reported by all Batteries Plus Stores (both franchise-owned and company-owned) in operation as of December 31, 2011.
- There were 500 total Batteries Plus Stores open as of December 31, 2011 (referred to as “All Stores”). Of All Stores, there were 441 Batteries Plus Stores that were in operation for the entire 12 month period ended December 31, 2011 (referred to as “Same Stores”), and 59 Batteries Plus Stores that opened during 2011.
- As noted, each category included in this statement specifies whether Same Stores or All Stores are included.
A. Statement of Average Annual Net Revenue and Merchandise Margin
- This statement includes average Net Revenue and Merchandise Margin for Same Stores for the 12 month period ended December 31, 2011.
- In addition, each group of Stores is divided into quartiles, with the range of and average Net Revenue in each quartile identified.
- This statement includes information from Same Stores only.
- For purposes of this statement, the term “Net Revenue” means all revenues received from the sale of goods and services, whether for cash or by check, credit card, or trade, in connection with the Store, less Sales tax, discounts, and customer refunds and returns.
- For purposes of this statement, the term “Merchandise Margin” is Net Revenue less product cost. Product cost is the cost of the product only and does not include other cost of goods sold such as freight, warranty expense, or inventory shrinkage.
- “Merchandise Margin Percentage” is Merchandise Margin divided by Net Revenue multiplied by 100.