14 Things You Need to Know About the BIGGBY COFFEE franchise opportunity
BIGGBY COFFEE cuts total initial investment to open a cafe
1. The cost to open a BIGGBY COFFEE franchise is now the lowest in the company’s history following the recent development of a new store footprint — cutting store build-out and start-up costs by nearly 40 percent. Prior to 2011, the total initial investment to open a café totaled more than $290,000. Since re-designing the store footprint, costs have now dropped to approximately $210,000. Monthly royalties remain at 5% of net sales.
BIGGBY COFFEE franchise product offerings
2. BIGGBY COFFEE is known for serving fresh, hot, rich tasting beverages that use only the finest ingredients while executing a unique method of production. Hand selected from different countries, their coffee beans are slow roasted for a unique flavor, taste-tested, then immediately distributed to ensure maximum freshness.
3. In the stores, BIGGBY COFFEE employs unique production methods — including grind to order and wet foam — to produce velvety smooth drinks. BIGGBY COFFEE uses premium chocolates and caramels, the finest syrups, and the freshest dairy products.
🔐The Very Best of Franchise Chatter
4. To complement their coffee, BIGGBY also serves bagels, muffins, scones, donuts, yogurt parfaits, cookies, brownies, cupcakes, and chocolate covered grahams. They also serve a variety of carefully selected teas and tisanes — brewed fresh to order or packaged to take home and enjoy later.
5. BIGGBY COFFEE was founded in East Lansing, Michigan by Bob Fish and Mary Roszel. Bob had lived in Europe and developed a taste for great coffee. Mary was hired by Bob to work in a restaurant he managed. Both have degrees in hospitality management. They opened their first café on March 15, 1995.
6. In 1997, they opened a second store in downtown Lansing. The success of both stores and significant demand from lovers of BIGGBY COFFEE led to a decision to begin franchising the concept.
7. In June of 1998, Global Orange Development, LLC, the franchisor for BIGGBY COFFEE, was formed by Bob Fish, Mary Roszel and Michael McFall, a barista hired by Mary in the early days of the first store.
8. BIGGBY COFFEE’S first franchise store opened on August 9, 1999 in Okemos, Michigan, followed by a store in East Lansing on October 6, 1999. These openings established BIGGBY COFFEE as the dominant gourmet coffee brand in the Lansing market, strengthened by the addition of nine more stores over the following four years.
🚀How to Find, Vet & FUND a Good Franchise. Watch Our Webinar Live or the Recording Later (Register Now – It's Free)
9. Today, BIGGBY COFFEE has 133 locations open, or under contract to open, in seven states.
10. Franchisees are required to complete a minimum of six, non-consecutive weeks in training. In addition, BIGGBY COFFEE operations staff is on site to assist in training the store’s employees prior to and after the store opening. To ensure that BIGGBY COFFEE’S high standards of product quality and customer service are met, all training must be successfully completed before any location opens for business.
11. The company offers a variety of franchise support programs — ranging from their online Franchise Resource Center, to in-store inspections, to mystery shopper programs, and customer surveys. BIGGBY COFFEE also hosts annual Franchisee Meetings to keep franchisees up to date with system changes, new products, procedures, and vendors.
12. BIGGBY COFFEE helps new franchisees develop their marketing plans prior to opening. The company has an annual promotions calendar for in-store marketing of beverages, food items, merchandise, and special holiday promotions — including all the display materials. Franchisees have access to proven advertising materials for direct mail, outdoor, and print, as well as access to the company’s graphic design team, who can help produce custom marketing materials.
13. The company assists franchisees in securing the best possible store location through an “in-market” evaluation of the trade area and specific analysis on each location under consideration (including demographic data and a site evaluation) to help in the decision making process.
14. BIGGBY COFFEE’S design and build team has the ability to take a store from the drawing table all the way to the Grand Opening. The equipment, furniture, and fixtures come in a package from a supplier straight to the store.