Key Points From the News Article Written by Jeff Harrington of the St. Petersburg Times and Posted on Tampabay.com on August 3, 2011
1. 1-800-Junk-USA, a full service waste management and recycling company, has just purchased College Hunks Hauling Junk, the trash removal franchise.
2. It’s obvious that the two companies have been partners for a while now. College Hunks has been using the 1-800-Junk-USA toll free number on their trucks, website, and marketing materials and 1-800-Junk-USA has been promoting College Hunks on their website. This new agreement between the two companies merely solidies their partnership, but both companies will continue to operate separately and their current management teams will remain in place.
3. They will explore ways to build upon the synergies between the two brands by cross-marketing their services and leveraging their national footprints and existing client relationships. For example, the 1-800-Junk call center will likely relocate to Tampa, Florida, where College Hunks has its headquarters.
4. College Hunks specializes in junk removal, local moving services, donations pickup, carpet removal, appliance disposal, light demolition services, hot tub removal, and electronics recycling. 1-800-Junk is known for waste services like dumpsters, valet trash services, event cleanup, recycling programs, and clean-up services for contractors.
5. By expanding their product offerings, both companies become more attractive to corporate clients and prospective franchisees.
6. Prior to the aquistion, College Hunks landed $3 million in investment capital to work on their technology, and management expects to raise an addition $3 million to $5 million in a second round.
7. College Hunks was founded in 2003 by two college students, Omar Soliman and Nick Friedman, as a way to make money during their summer vacation. They now operate in 35 markets serving both commercial and residential clients.