The Franchise Chatter Blog’s List of 15 Things Every Prospective Franchisee Needs to Know Before Investing in The Goddard School Franchise Opportunity
The Goddard School Franchise Business Model
1. Goddard Schools are early childhood development schools that offer childcare and preschool education. Each Goddard School is a fully licensed childcare facility that follows Goddard’s FLEX Learning Program, a comprehensive play-based curriculum developed with early childhood education experts and provides the optimal environment for a child’s development.
2. At Goddard School, fun comes first because play is the foundation for learning. To set the stage for individual achievement, trained teachers observe and assess each child’s developmental achievements, and then plan engaging learning activities that build upon what each child can do. Teachers intentionally guide and extend the child’s play to ensure key developmental milestones are achieved — encouraging exploration along the way.
3. Goddard’s play based- curriculum is the foundation of their AdvancED accredited programs for exceptional early childhood education. AdvancED is a global accreditation system delivering unified quality standards for education in private and public schools, colleges, and universities. AdvancED evaluates quality, continuous improvement, and student success in early childhood education centers.
4. Unlike most other childcare centers where the owner is also the Education Director, under The Goddard System, the Goddard owner is on-site to manage the day-to-day business, while a separate Education Director focuses on curriculum and programming. This dual management system is effective because it gives the Director the freedom to observe classrooms, mentor teachers, and develop a healthy learning environment for children, while the owner is afforded the flexibility necessary to operate an efficient, thriving business.
5. Goddard Schools employ highly qualified faculty trained in Early Childhood Education or Child Development. The Education Director and teachers receive comprehensive training and ongoing professional development through Goddard Systems University (GSU), which has been approved as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET). Classes are conducted on a regional basis every quarter and participants receive continuing education credit (usually a state requirement).
6. In addition to the state’s licensing requirements, every Goddard School must pass the Goddard Quality Assurance (QA) review to support the health and well being of each child. Goddard QA representatives make unannounced semi-annual visits to each School to assess compliance with all Health and Safety policies and procedures, as well as Curriculum and Program performance. This should provide an added level of reassurance for families.
7. The building size of a typical Goddard School in a suburban location is at least 8,000 square feet and the playground area is at least 5,000 square feet. The site must also have, at a minimum, a 30-car paved parking area. Goddard Schools are designed with the well being of the children and faculty in mind. The building size provides a manageable environment and the two large playgrounds are intended to accommodate different age groups separately.
8. Most Goddard Schools are open Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. (hours of operation may vary), affording Goddard franchisees a very family-friendly lifestyle.
The Goddard School Franchise History and Growth
9. Goddard has been in business since 1988, and now has over 360 Goddard School franchise units. Goddard’s headquarters are in King of Prussia, PA.
The Goddard School Franchisee Training
10. Very few Goddard School franchisees are educators. In order to ensure smooth school operations, Goddard provides each franchisee with a comprehensive training program covering topics such as operational practices, customer service, licensing, marketing, hiring and training, and Goddard Quality Assurance.
11. Goddard franchisees have the opportunity to attend a four-day annual conference every spring and regional symposiums each fall. These meetings enhance the initial training with updates, current research, and an opportunity to share information with fellow School owners.
The Goddard School Franchisee Support
12. Goddard School franchisees receive support in the areas of real estate and site development, advertising and marketing, operations, and quality assurance, among others.
The Goddard School Franchise Cost
13. The total initial investment to open a Goddard School ranges from $692,700 to $707,700.
14. Goddard’s initial franchise fee is $135,000 and ongoing royalty fee is 7% of gross revenues.
The Goddard School Franchise Accolades
15. In 2011, Entrepreneur Magazine ranked Goddard Systems Inc. #87 in its Franchise 500 list, and #80 in its list of Fastest Growing Franchises.