Detailed Estimates of Yogurtland Franchise Costs Based on Item 7 (Estimated Initial Investment) of Yogurtland’s 2013 Franchise Disclosure Document
- This table provides estimates to open a Yogurtland store. This table estimates your initial investment from the period before your store opens for business, through about 3 months of operations.
- Yogurtland used its and its affiliates’ (Withim, Higher Ground, First Vine, and PMC Enterprise) experience in operating a Yogurtland store to make these estimates.
1. Initial Franchise Fee: $35,000
- You pay the initial franchise fee in a lump sum on signing the Franchise Agreement.
2. Training Fee Per Person for Additional Trainees: Nothing additional, unless you elect additional trainees, then $300-$1,000 per trainee to reimburse Yogurtland’s expenses
- Yogurtland provides initial training at no additional charge for a total of two individuals responsible for store management at its office, its store location, a franchised location, or other location it designates.
3. Travel and Living Expenses While Training: $500 – $6,000
- The low estimate assumes you do not incur travel and lodging expenses for you or your manager during the initial training program. The high estimate assumes you and your manager incur travel and lodging expenses during training.
4. Travel and Living Expenses for Yogurtland’s Staff to Provide On-Site Opening Assistance (Up to 5 Days): $500 – $3,000
- The low estimate assumes minimal travel expenses because your store is located near Yogurtland’s headquarters. The high estimate assumes Yogurtland’s staff incurs airfare and lodging costs during on-site opening assistance.
5. Rent and Lease Deposit: $3,000 – $20,000
- This estimate assumes rent for approximately 3 months, security deposit, and last month’s rent.
- The typical Yogurtland store will be approximately 1,000 to 1,5000 square feet.
- The high estimate assumes your store is in a high cost rental market such as on the Las Vegas Strip or a major shopping mall.
6. Utility Deposits: $1,000 – $25,000
- Utility companies may require you to place a deposit before installing telephone, Internet, gas, water, electricity, and other utility services.
7. Leasehold Improvements: $114,000 – $303,000
- Leasehold Improvement refers to estimated labor cost for construction of tenant improvement for a new Yogurtland store.
- The range for a store is the cost of reasonable renovation or leasehold improvements, and may be less if the lessor provides you with a tenant improvement allowance. The higher end of the range is more likely to be experienced in the Northeast section of the USA.
8. Signs (Indoor and Outdoor) and Exterior Branding: $5,500 – $22,000
- The low estimate assumes minimal use of fixed (one exterior sign) and temporary (“coming soon” and “now open” banner signage).
- You will be required to install at least one exterior sign, one crest sign, and various sized interior graphics. Awnings are required, where allowed.
9. Franchisor-Supplied Decor and Other Items: $2,000
- You must pay Yogurtland this fee for menu boards, POS light shields, Gemstar dispenser, topping bar label holders, yogurt flavor label holders, spoon dispenser, and syrup dispenser for your Store.
10. Equipment and Fixtures: $108,559 – $220,051
- Equipment you must purchase includes refrigerator, freezer, locker, clock, and safe.
- Furniture you must purchase includes tables, chairs, umbrellas, bench seats, and millwork to be used in the customer area of the store.
- Fixtures you must purchase and install include hand sink, prep-sinks, 3-compartment sink, sink guards, glycol unit, and specific model, water-cooled Taylor yogurt machines.
11. POS System: $12,500
- You must purchase a complete Yogurtland Franchising, Inc. MICROS POS System from MICROS.
12. Water Filter System: $500
13. Opening Inventory: $4,000 – $8,500
- Part of this expense is payable directly to Yogurtland and/or its affiliates. The remainder is payable to approved suppliers.
14. Business License: $2,000 – $4,000
- Estimated cost for a business license, health department license, and food management license.
15. Insurance: $2,100 – $2,400
- Estimated one-year premium for required insurance.
16. Opening Advertising: $6,000
- You must spend at least $2,000/month advertising for 3 months in conjunction with opening your store, for a total of $6,000.
17. Architect: $8,000 – $15,500
- Estimated charges for you to consult with an architect approved by Yogurtland to design and prepare plans for your store will range from $8,000 – $15,500.
- In the event you prefer to use an architect that Yogurtland has not approved, Yogurtland will require payment to it of $5,000 to compensate Yogurtland for the time spent in working with your preferred architect on fully understanding the needs of the brand.
18. Design/Build Out Support Fee: $5,000, plus reimbursement for Yogurtland’s actual out-of-pocket costs
- You must pay Yogurtland a design/build-out fee of $5,000 for providing you with a preliminary floor plan layout and prototype design development package for your Yogurtland store, and for the limited construction management services it provides to you during the design and construction phase of your build-out.
19. Attorney and Other Professional Fees: $3,000 – $10,000
20. Additional Funds – First 3 Months of Operations: $10,000 – $25,000
- Additional funds are the minimum recommended levels to cover operating expenses, including payroll expenses for 3 months. Yogurtland does not include the salary for the store manager, on the assumption that you will manager the store.
21. Total: $323,159 – $725,451