This special FDD Talk series will highlight the financial performance representations of over 20 Children’s franchises, with a cross-analysis of the featured franchises to be published at the end of the series.
Highlights of Kumon’s Item 19 Financial Performance Representations (2012 FDD)
- The franchisee will operate an after-school center that provides math and reading programs using the Kumon Method of learning (“Kumon Center”). Children are given the opportunity to attend Kumon Centers twice each week throughout the year for approximately 20-30 minutes per subject and complete daily assignments at home on non-Center days.
- The total investment necessary to begin operation of a Kumon Center franchise ranges from $69,943 to $147,050. This includes the $1,000 franchise fee that you must pay to the franchisor.
- If you are applying for your first Kumon Center franchise, at the time that you sign the Training Agreement, you must pay the franchisor a deposit of $500. If you successfully complete Start-Up Training and sign a Franchise Agreement, the franchisor will apply the deposit towards your franchise fee.
Enrollments for Kumon Centers After 12 and 24 Months of Operation
- All numbers are as of December 31, 2011.
- This information is for new Centers. It excludes transfer Centers and Centers that have closed.
- Enrollments are subject-students that are reported to Kumon by franchisees. For example, one student may enroll in Math and Reading subjects. This student would count as two enrolled subject-students. You charge tuition, and correspondingly pay a royalty to Kumon, for each subject-student.
- The average enrollment numbers below are based upon numbers supplied to Kumon by its franchisees. The franchisor has not conducted any audits or otherwise independently verified the numbers submitted by franchisees.