The National Minority Franchising Initiative recently released the results of their fourth annual survey that recognizes franchises with the most minority representation. Minorities include African-Americans, Asian-Americans, Hispanics, South Asians, etc.
Over 450 franchisors responded to this year’s survery. Franchisors were asked asked to list the minority participation among their exisiting franchised and corporate owned-units, as well as minority representation among their senior management (defined as management with an annual salary over $60,000).
The 10 franchises with the highest percentage of minority representation are:
1. Coverall (8,700 units; 91% representation) – maintenance
2. Bonus Building Care (1,793 units; 95% representation) – maintenance
3. JAN-PRO Cleaning Systems (12,870; 78% representation) – maintenance
4. Vanguard Cleaning Systems (2,388 units; 88% representation) – maintenance
5. Stratus Building Solutions (5,132 units; 93% representation) – maintenance
6. Church’s Chicken (1,241 units; 75% representation) – food service
7. Jack-in-the-Box (2,222 units; 73% representation) – food service
8. Auntie Anne’s (1,130 units; 39% representation) – food service
9. Anytime Fitness (1,635 units; 43% representation) – health and fitness
10. Liberty Tax Service (3,575 units; 33% representation) – tax services
It’s worth noting that the top 5 franchises in the list are all in the maintenance industry, where minority representation is outstanding (from 78% to 95%). Their relatively low cost makes them an attractive option for first time business owners who are willing to work hard to achieve the American dream.
The next three franchises are in the food service industry, which is a bit surprising given that the initial investment for food franchises is rather steep, especially for Church’s Chicken and Jack-in-the Box. A health and fitness and tax preparation franchise round out of the top 10.
To read the full list, please click here.