Earnings Claims of Top Franchises Revealed

• Menchie's
  • Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt
  • Planet Fitness
  • The UPS Store
  • Yogurt Land
  • And Hundreds More...

No, thanks. I'm not interested in uncovering the actual earnings of hundreds of franchises at this time.

The Top Frozen Yogurt Franchises of 2011, Plus a Few Non-Yogurt Franchises Worth Mentioning

by Franchise Chatter on August 13, 2011

in Franchise Reviews, Frozen Dessert Franchise, Frozen Yogurt Franchises

Franchise Chatter Membership Information

To read more exclusive articles on the top frozen yogurt franchises to invest in, check out our Fro-Yo Files section.

There’s no denying that the frozen yogurt franchise category is the flavor of the moment.  I don’t know when this love affair will end, but for now, interest in anything related to fro-yo franchises is intensifying.  I’d like to offer a special treat to my regular and new readers by ranking the top frozen yogurt franchises of 2011 and sharing some highlights from some of my most popular blog posts to date.  As you can tell, I have a bias in favor of the self-serve model because of the lower labor costs and its popularity among consumers.

If there are any frozen yogurt franchises under my radar that you’d like to be the subject of a future blog post, leave a comment or send me an email and I will reach out to the companies mentioned.  In the meantime, enjoy my selection of the best frozen yogurt franchises of 2011.  (By the way, if you’re into lists like I am, check out my most popular blog post to date, Franchise Chatter’s 10 Franchises with the Best Business Models, and 1 with Possibly THE Worst, June 26, 2011)

1.  Yogurtland

Why they made the list:

Yogurtland Frozen Yogurt Photo by EXP_Count“I personally think the flavors offered at Yogurtland are unique and worth a special trip. The variety of interesting flavors was just dizzying.  They had Taro, Toasted Coconut, Red Velvet Cupcake Batter, Pecans & Pralines, Peanut Butter, Pumpkin Pie and so much more.  There was also an amazing array of toppings, but I decided to skip those because I wanted to savor the actual flavors of the yogurt.  I couldn’t decide which flavors to try, so I ended up with a pretty delicious mess.  But I was in heaven with every bite.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Should I Invest in a Yogurtland Franchise, April 14, 2011)

“Yogurtland is the original self-serve model.  We created and defined the self-serve experience. Our emphasis on R&D and product development is one of our key points of differentiation. Nearly all of our competitors are using the same frozen yogurt provided by one or two sources.  Each of our flavors is formulated in-house by a tremendous group of R&D and Product Development specialists.”  (Larry Sidoti, VP of Development and Operations for Yogurtland, Franchise Chatter Exclusive:  Q&A with Larry Sidoti, Yogurtland’s VP of Development and Operations, June 13, 2011)

2.  Menchie’s

Why they made the list: Menchie's Frozen Yogurt Photo by +Russ

“What I admire most about Menchie’s is their emphasis on providing a great customer experience and creating a family-friendly environment.  The Menchie’s logo makes it very clear that they cater to families with young children — and they seem to be very successful at it.  From all the pictures I’ve seen, their stores are like magnets for kids and teenagers — and their parents don’t seem to mind one bit!  It seems like a place where the entire family can enjoy.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, What Sets Menchie’s Apart from Other Frozen Yogurt Franchises, May 6, 2011)

“I like to say that we at Menchie’s ‘sell smiles’ via frozen yogurt.  We offer such a unique environment that when people come by, they don’t just get a delicious product, they get a full 360 degree experience.  It’s a multi-layered formula that provides our customers with friendly service, a fantastic product, a family-friendly environment, and a memorable experience. While our competitors focus solely on the food, we focus on the experience – which, of course, also means having great food and service.  But it’s really the complete experience that sets us apart.” (Amit Kleinberger, CEO of Menchies, Exclusive Interview with Amit Kleinberger, CEO of Menchie’s, One of the Fastest Growing Frozen Yogurt Franchises in the World, May 23, 2011)

“Menchie’s recently launched a new platform of toys to increase customer loyalty among families with young kids. With each cup of frozen yogurt purchased, Menchie’s will offer customers a free Sweet Friend collectible toy.  I think it’s very smart for Menchie’s to focus their marketing efforts on families because no other frozen yogurt franchise has explicitly gone after this market, even though the product appeals especially to kids and teenagers.  This new platform of toys will distinguish Menchie’s from the competition and, if executed properly, will make them the go-to frozen yogurt brand for families.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt Franchise Goes After Families with Young Kids, and Customers Looking for Unique Flavors, July 26, 2011)

3.  TCBY (The Country’s Best Yogurt)

Why they made the list:

TCBY Franchise Photo by ekelley80“TCBY is one of the original and most recognized brands in the frozen yogurt category.  TCBY has been a frozen yogurt innovator since their first shop opened in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1981. In 2010, TCBY introduced a new self-serve platform and a contemporary look that appeals to customers of all ages.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, TCBY Joins the Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt Bandwagon with Revamped Store Design and Identity, August 12, 2011)

“This new design has not only surged interest for new franchisees, but existing ones as well. Current franchisees understand that the self-serve model is forward-thinking and will serve their customers well in their local markets. We have had several franchisees express interest in not only expanding their portfolios, but also in converting some of their existing units to self-serve. We currently have six self-serve locations in development and are projecting to open an additional 100 by the end of 2011.” (Rob Street, Senior VP of Development at TCBY, TCBY Joins the Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt Bandwagon with Revamped Store Design and Identity, August 12, 2011)

4.  Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt

Why they made the list: Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt Franchise Photo by amandalaura

“The franchise fee for a single Orange Leaf location is $12,000 (about a third of the $35,000 franchise fee for Yogurtland and $40,000 for Menchie’s).  Orange Leaf’s monthly royalty is 3% of gross sales (half of the 6% royalty fee charged by Yogurtland and Menchie’s) and their monthly marketing fee is 0.5% of gross sales (a quarter of Menchie’s and Yogurtland’s marketing fee of 2% ).” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Looking for a Cheaper Alternative to a Menchie’s or Yogurtland Franchise? Consider the Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt Franchise Opportunity, August 7, 2011)

“It does a lot of good if we can bring in a franchisee, put a system in place where they can be successful and go do another store, and another store, and another store — not where we burden them with a fee that prevents them from being able to reinvest their capital and help us grow the company.” (Reese Travis, CEO and part-owner of Orange Leaf, Looking for a Cheaper Alternative to a Menchie’s or Yogurtland Franchise? Consider the Orange Leaf Frozen Yogurt Franchise Opportunity, August 7, 2011)

And a Few Non-Yogurt Frozen Treat Franchises Worth Mentioning

Tasti D-Lite Franchise Photo by lookslikeamy1.  Tasti D-Lite

Why they deserve a special mention:

“Tasti D-Lite is a soft-serve, dairy-based frozen dessert that is significantly lower in calories, fat, and carbohydrates than ice cream and much lower in sugar than frozen yogurt. It’s made from natural ingredients with virtually no preservatives added. It’s not ice cream because it does not have the high butterfat or total solids content to be called ice cream. And it’s not frozen yogurt because it doesn’t contain active yogurt bacteria. Relative to ice cream and frozen yogurt, Tasti D-Lite is a guilt-free treat. In a 4 fl. oz. serving, most Tasti flavors contain 70 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 13 grams or less of carbs, and 2 grams of protein. They are currently testing a self-serve format in Las Vegas.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Too Many Frozen Yogurt Franchises in Your City? Consider Tasti D-Lite, a Low Calorie Frozen Dessert Franchise, July 27, 2011)

2.  Starfruit Cafe

Why they deserve a special mention:Starfruit Cafe Franchise Photo by Lifeway Foods, Inc.

“According to the company, a Starfruit Cafe is better than a typical frozen yogurt shop because its entire selection of lowfat smoothies, frozen treats and parfaits are made with Lifeway Kefir, which packs up to four times the probiotics of yogurt. The secret to Starfruit’s health-boosting power is the 10 live probiotic cultures found in Lifeway Kefir, a creamy “miracle drink” that serves as the base of its products (Yogurt typically contains just two or three probiotics). There are currently 4 Starfruit Cafe retail stores — all in the city of Chicago — and they will be unveiling a mobile food truck specially designed to deliver Chicagoans their frozen treats.” (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Looking for Something Healthier than Frozen Yogurt, but Just as Delicious? Check Out the Starfruit Cafe Franchise (Frozen Treats, Smoothies), August 11, 2011)

3.  Cold Stone Creamery

Why they deserve a special mention:

Cold Stone Creamery Frozen Yogurt Photo by NikkiPanache“The new line of low-calorie, low-fat, probiotic frozen yogurt was introduced in select locations in January 2011, and was apparently well received enough to justify a nationwide rollout. Cold Stone’s frozen yogurt will be available alongside their super-premium ice cream to offer guests more options for creating the brand’s signature creations with fruit, nuts, and candy mix-ins. The brand also launched this past January a new retail format called the Cold Stone Creamery Yogurt Bar — a soft-serve, self-service frozen yogurt concept with seven current locations. Additional stores are in design and construction. (The Franchise Chatter Blog, Cold Stone Creamery Joins the Frozen Yogurt Bandwagon with the Nationwide Rollout of Its Own Frozen Yogurt Line. Next Up: Cold Stone Creamery Yogurt Bars, July 28, 2011)

Update: Franchise Chatter’s Top 10 Frozen Yogurt Franchises of 2013 – Read Here

Print Friendly

Are Frozen Yogurt Franchises Turning Sour

{ 100 comments… read them below or add one }

Liz October 12, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Enjoyed your article. We are doing research to find the right niche for us. What about Spoon Me and Red Mango?

Ambrosio October 12, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Hi Liz,

Thank you for your comment. Red Mango has struggled in recent years because of the sudden popularity of the self-serve format. Now, they’re playing catch up as they roll out their own self-serve stores, but I wouldn’t count them out just yet. After all, they are one of those responsible for the resurgence of frozen yogurt in America in the last few years. I’m not familiar with Spoon Me (thank you for bringing the company to my attention), but I’ll dig a little deeper to see what I can find. I’ll write about them in a future blog post.

In case you haven’t read them yet, please check out my series of posts on the FDDs of Yogurtland, Menchie’s, Orange Leaf, Pinkberry, Red Mango, and Nubi.

If there’s anything else about frozen yogurt franchises that you’d like to know more about, please let me know. I’ll reach out to my contacts in the industry to get you the answers. Thanks for supporting my blog.

Larry Ball October 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I cannot except anything you say as credible. Cold Stone Creamery? Have ya seen CNBC’s documentary? Have you seen the SBA loan failure rates on CSC?

Denise October 30, 2011 at 8:53 am

What about Pinkberry? That is OUR absolute favorite FroYo place!

Ambrosio October 30, 2011 at 10:20 am

Thank you for your question and comment. Pinkberry is certainly one of the most well recognized brands in the industry. My concern is the number of store closures in recent years (2 in 2008, 1 in 2009, and 5 in 2010). In addition, 8 stores were reacquired by the franchisor and 1 franchise was terminated in 2010. The growing competition from self-serve frozen yogurt stores may have something to do with this. But this is just my personal opinion. I’m sure others will have different, and equally valid, points of view. Thanks for dropping by, Denise!

Anonymous October 31, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I have worked at an Orange Leaf, and would like for all future franchisees to know this: STAY AWAY. During my time there, we got a new manager and she was only trained for three days. This was far from adequate. She was left with little knowledge of how to run the store, and had to figure out almost everything by herself.
Also, when we got a new cash register system, our loyalty cards stopped working. Our customers went without a loyalty card for months, and our regional manager wouldn’t let us make any sort off punch card or alternate reward system.
Our regional manager NEVER answered his phone. At one point, I needed a copy of my W-2. My manager repeatedly asked him for a couple of months for it. Then, when we got a new manager, she also asked him multiple times. I finally called the corporate office and had to dial a coworker’s extension in order to ask them for his cell phone number. It took leaving multiple messages on his cell phone to FINALLY get my W-2. I found this extremely unprofessional.
Even though I worked for a corporate store, in my experience, Orange Leaf would not be a good store to invest even $12,000 in to start a franchise. They lack professionalism, basic knowledge of running a business, and overall character.

Anonymous November 26, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Am I offended that TCBY didn’t make the numero uno slot on the list? No, but somewhat disappointed. As a self-serve TCBY franchisee, I’m amazed by the number of self-serve frozen yogurt shops opening across the country. It’s endless. When is it going to stop? I think winter 2011-2012 will tell a lot about the future of the industry, especially for those shops based in colder climate, major metropolitan areas. Eventually, there will be a lot of carnage. No doubt. Ebay will be the “go to spot” to pick up some good deals on used frozen yogurt machines. All the “mom and pops” will not survive. No way. Aside from that, the independents just don’t have access to the greatest product in the country. TCBY has been setting the bar for frozen yogurt for over 30 years, and it shows. They’re product is by far the creamiest, tastiest, and most healthy. None of that powder-based, icy product with non-palatable aftertaste. IMHO, Yogurtland has risen to the top because of the “new” name and the price per ounce. Since TCBY took a backseat for a number of years; Yogurtland popped up out of nowhere and kinda took charge. Many people had forgotten about the TCBY name and moved on I guess. Well, TCBY is back. There is a new sheriff in town. TCBY pretty much created the frozen yogurt industry back in 1981, and now, they must follow everyone else(i.e. self serve model). Go figure. TCBY’s new store design is amazing. It’s bright, cheerful and inviting. The layout is superb. None of that cramped feeling you get a lot at self-serve shops these days. The customer service is first class. TCBY prides themselves on A+ customer service. TCBY has a really bright future ahead, regardless of the competition’s expansion. TCBY is a first class operation. I wouldn’t have invested in a company with a weak and small track record and inferior product. 30 years is nothing to mess around with.

Ambrosio November 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hi Rick,

Thanks for sharing your insider perspectives on TCBY! I share your concerns about overexpansion and saturation in this space, and I agree with you that going with a top brand is the best way to survive the inevitable shakeout. Let’s revisit this list in 2012. Those who do best in the year ahead will probably be the long term winners in this category. Please keep us posted on the latest development in froyo land from your vantage point as a current franchisee. Thanks again, Rick, and all the best to you.

Jim July 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

I guess that explains why TCBY market shares have dropped from 34% to 18% since 2006. I guess that’s why the TCBY that’s across the street from Sweet Frog in Connecticut is ALWAYS empty and the Sweet Frog JAM PACKED with customers. The reason why its “cramped” as you put it is because the product is awesome and a very welcoming atmosphere for families! Sweet Frog is the new kid on the block and has opened almost 200 stores in just 3 years. They are going to roll over this industry and leave you wondering what just happened. TCBY was a huge rip off to begin with. And no, there fruit isn’t the best either. I know this because I worked at one with all their frozen fruit coming in. And why lie about the mixing of the powdered based products. TCBY used powdered based in some of their favors. And no, there customer service is nothing like Sweet Frogs. As a former worker at TCBY in the 90’s and a new customer of Sweet Frog, let’s just say I’ll stick with Sweet Frog.

Scott November 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I have another one for you. “Cups” in Clifton, NJ. More of an experience, but I’ve learned that they use YoCream frozen yogurt which any of the good ones do. Their take is atmosphere; with flat screen tv’s, pop music playing, fun vibrant colors and sitting areas like that of a club scene. TCBY has always been my favorite, but I’m thinking of franchising a CUPS. TCBY is like White Castle to me though, when you see a TCBY by me in North Jersey, you have to stop. TCBY was here when I was a kid, left and is now back. Not sure yet about CUPS because it is new, but we’ll see. Only one store with more going up now, but backed by a corporation with over 100 franchises in the restaurant and hospitality industry. The Briad Group is the corporation that started CUPS and they started as an ice cream franchisee and now have a huge portfolio of diverse brands. I don’t work for them, I just did my due diligence and thought I’d share what I learned. I have some good questions now from reading posts like this and all the comments and searching the web, when I meet the franchise manager of CUPS. In the end, if you are going to stand out from the competition you better be in the public eye, running promotions on facebook, twitter, and social media of all kind. Employ customers to share their experiences at your establishment online to win something, etc. People like to have to control and share and this is why social media took off and now self serve yogurt. I wonder what’s next.

Ambrosio December 2, 2011 at 3:48 am

Hi Scott,

Thank you for telling us about Cups. I don’t know enough about the company yet, but I was impressed with the YouTube video they put together.

Seems like a fun place that’s trying to cater to adults as well. With a slogan like “Cups, Frozen Yogurt That’s Hot” and T-shirts that say “Size Matters, Fill Your Cup,” looks like they’re trying to position themselves differently from other fro-yo chains that cater primarily to kids. Remains to be seen if they can grow beyond New Jersey, but Cups is a company worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks, Scott.

Thomas January 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I wouldn’t touch that franchise. You need to do more research. I looked into them a while back and their %’s don’t add up.

BunmiAkinyemi December 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Is yogurt in love’s frozen yogurt a genuine franchise? You did not mention them amongst your frozen yogurt franchises

Ambrosio December 4, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Hi there,

I’d never heard of Yogurt in Love before. When I visited their website, there is no mention of how many franchise units they have currently. I try to stick with brands that have a national reputation and reach. But I will keep an eye out for this franchise. Thanks for bringing Yogurt in Love to my attention.

BunmiAkinyemi December 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Thanks alot for this info

saima killedar September 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hi

Was wondering what do you think of Yogurt in Love franchise.

Their no franchise fee is very appealing and was seriously thinking about this franchise.

Eagerly waiting for your input.

Franchise Chatter September 17, 2012 at 2:36 am

Hi Saima,

Thanks for the question. I did a Q&A with the founder of Yogurt in Love a few months back (http://www.franchisechatter.com/2012/06/04/yogurt-in-love-waives-initial-franchise-fee-for-first-25-franchisees-says-founder-sylvan-newby/). While I have nothing bad to say about Yogurt in Love, I prefer going with a large national brand, like Yogurtland, Menchie’s, TCBY, etc. I do think the fro-yo space is getting increasingly crowded. When the inevitable shakeout occurs, I want to make sure that I’m aligned with a brand that will last. This is just my own personal preference, because I believe investing in a strong brand will result in a higher resale value if and when I decide to sell.

Kathryn Copeland November 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

You might want to investigate Yogurt In Love a little more before doing any type of recommendations about them. Some friends went with that franchise and have run into a host of problems, mainly due to very cheap machines that are not working. Turns out there are about 10 other franchise’s experiencing the same problem. They promote their machines as top of the line $15,000 machines when in fact they are low budget $3,000 machines not made for commercial use. My friends were going to do a trail opening just for friends – a trail run before opening the next day – 3 of the 5 machines started shooting out yogurt all over their shop. I would not be surprised if this company goes bankrupt due to lawsuits.

Kathryn Copeland November 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm

trial opening not trail – oops

priny January 13, 2013 at 6:07 am

I have been to the Yogurt In Love in Nashua, NH, actually I am addicted so I go every week. I have never noticed them having equipment problems, and they seem to be doing quite well. The NSA flavors are kind of strange though, they are sweetened with Stevia, and I think they taste kind of bitter, have not seen this in any other store before…

Kristina January 23, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I am a franchisee of yogurt in love. the franchise has been amazing to work with. anything I needed they did. if you follow directions and training the machines work great! the yogurt is seriously the best I have ever had! the owners of the franchise are great people and genuinly want you to be successful and happy. I would open more of these shops in a heartbeat!

Fred fox December 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’m very surprised there’s no mention of Pink Berry

Ambrosio December 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Hi Fred,

Thanks for dropping in. I’ve written about Pinkberry in other posts, but they didn’t make my list for 2011 because I’m concerned that their format has been eclipsed by the more popular self-serve variety. They’ve suffered from store closures in the past few years and I’m worried that this trend will continue. But I do respect the company for being one of the pioneers in this category. And I’m not counting them out in 2012.

BunmiAkinyemi December 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm

Hi. Do you have a list of very good frozen yogurt mix suppliers? And which one do you think is better? Liquid mix or powder mix? Thanks

Ambrosio December 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi,

Thank you for visiting! I can’t claim to be an authority on the subject of frozen yogurt suppliers, but a company that has been mentioned several times as a top brand is YoCream (www.youcream.com), although I don’t have any personal knowledge about this. Good luck with your research and let me know what you discover.

Ali December 25, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hi, what about Yogen Fruz? I am considering them for my new Frozen Yogurt shop to be opened in the Middle East. What do you think? Seems they are strong (having 1200 stores world wide). Please advise. Thanks,

Ambrosio December 26, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hi Ali,

I’ve been trying to land an interview with the executive team at Yogen Fruz since I started the blog. After exchanging a couple emails with two top execs at the company, nothing has come out of it. Feel free to draw your own conclusion from that anecdote if you wish.

What I like about Yogen Fruz is that they have a small footprint that can fit in mall locations, unlike the self-serve concepts which require a lot more space and usually end up in strip malls. The product line of Yogen Fruz is pretty limited — that can be a good thing for franchisees because of lower input costs and more streamlined operations. But when the flashier self-serve brands come to town, customers seem to be drawn to the fun, interactive format. So I see both strengths and weaknesses in the Yogen Fruz model. I guess it boils down to the specific market in the Middle East — how many frozen yogurt brands are competing in the space? does the market prefer a self-serve format or made-to-order format? how expensive is mall space? etc.

Is there any specific reason why you are most interested in Yogen Fruz? You probably looked into other brands as well and I’d love to hear why Yogen Fruz is your top choice.

Thanks for dropping in.

Sam Potter January 17, 2013 at 8:12 am

Do NOT get a Yogen Fruz. This company makes its earnings by squeezing their franchisees for everything they are worth. I have met three different couples who lost over $100,000 on buying this franchise. The franchisor makes millions from franchising this and other businesses, while the franchisee is left making absolutely nothing or even running negative from operating the location. I suggest you heavily research this company before investing in it or any of the Serruya’s businesses.

Abdul Manan March 21, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hi,
Do you have any update on Yogen Fruz? I’m doing a project on Yogen Fruz franchising it to UAE market. Your help will be obliged a lot if you can forward anything related to it on my email. My email address is abdulmanan@live.ca. Thank you

Kind Regards
Abdul Manan

Franchise Chatter March 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Hi Abdul,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, despite our repeated attempts to do an interview with anyone from Yogen Fruz, the company has not been responsive. We would love to do an article with them in the future, but we’ll wait for them to reach out to us from now on.

Best of luck with your research.

moe summers December 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hi Ali, I am starting in the middle east . very confused which to use for my mix. please help

Eric January 24, 2012 at 9:26 am

Another franchise worth looking at is “CherryBerry” based out of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. This franchise is rapidly growing in Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Texas, and many others.

Ambrosio January 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the tip, Eric! I will look into CherryBerry. Should be interesting for readers of Franchise Chatter.

Natasha February 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

Hi i’m hoping to open a franchise in Australia this year and was wondering what your opinions on that were? I am very interested in Orange Leaf due to the low royalty and initial costs, but as I’m opening internationally and there’s lots of negative feedback about their management and support networks, do you think this may not be the best option? Would opening a TCBY store, although more expensive, be a better long term investment? Just looking for some advice from experts in the field. Thanks.

Ambrosio February 2, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hi Natasha,

That’s a very interesting question. Many franchise companies expand to other countries through master franchisees, who have purchased the right to franchise the concept within their own territories. So if you are looking to open just one location (instead of buying the right to franchise the concept in Australia), you may have to deal with a local master franchisee. I don’t know if either Orange Leaf or TCBY works this way, but it’s worth inquiring how each international franchise organization is set up. There are obvious advantages to working with someone local (hopefully, an experienced entrepreneur who knows the local market) versus relying on support from a company that’s based in the U.S.

Also, since TCBY now offers a self-serve option, Orange Leaf and TCBY’s offerings are pretty much interchangeable. The one with stronger brand recognition in your country will have the edge, all things being equal. But if there is a big difference in initial investment, I wouldn’t rule out the cheaper option. It really boils down to the competitive environment for frozen yogurt shops in Australia, and which brand you think will dominate over the long term.

Perhaps others with more direct experience on this matter can chime in.

Thanks for dropping by, Natasha, and good luck with your research!

Steve February 5, 2012 at 3:03 am

Hi Natasha….
Why franchise and give a percentage of your hard earned cash to someone else?
Do your research on machines (JUST BUY TAYLOR!), suppliers for toppings and yoghurt mix. A little hard work early makes life easy going forward, its not hard to develop your own SOP’s for staff etc.
Location is a big one though, so choose carefully and do your market research for areas you have in mind.
Where are you starting up by the way?
There are a couple of Tutti Frutti francises in Oz (perth and melborne).
Yo Get IT in melborne now have 3 stores after only 2 years.
All the other shops in Perth are non franchise.
Our shop has been open for 13 month now and isnt doing too bad at all.
I can point you in the direction of a liquid mix supplier if you are interested.
If you are in Melborne it may be worth chatting to the guys at YO GET IT.

michael March 23, 2012 at 4:45 am

Hi Steve,
I am also looking at getting into the Australian market , i also agree that a little hard work and research can go a long way instead of just handing your money over to a franchisor, although as anonymous commented below they can be useful during the development stages.
As the fro -yo business is only sort of taking off in Australia it is hard to find good information about quality products available in Australia and in particular Australian producers of these products.
I am still in the research and development stage of my business plan and would love to be able to speak to someone who has been through this process and who may have any usefull hints. I actually lived in Perth for a few years a while back and it was a shame your store was not open then as i was often at Hillarys.

Dayna March 10, 2012 at 8:05 pm

What do you know about Berripop?

Ambrosio March 10, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Unfortunately, absolutely nothing :-) Let me check out their website.

Anonymous March 15, 2012 at 8:13 pm

@ Steve- There are many good reasons to franchise, number one reason being lack of business background and experience. A good franchisor will teach you the ins and outs of the business, and literally hold your hand through the pre-development, development, training, real estate, pre-construction, construction, and pre-opening processes so forth and so on. Yes, you pay for it, but that’s one part of being a franchisee. With a really good franchise you get the premium goods(i.e. product), decor, use of logo, brand image, name, longevity, advertising and marketing expertise etc,etc.

@ BunmiAkinyemi- Here is a strong list of yogurt suppliers: Yo Cream; PreGel; Yoki Bliss; Honey Hill Farms; YoFlavor; “Only 8”; YoFreeze. Yoki Bliss and Honey Hill Farms are the best on the list. Everyone and their mother uses YoCream and PreGel which is why almost every frozen yogurt shop in America tastes the same. Liquid Mix is hands down the way to go. Bar none.

san March 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

What do you know about Yofresh yogut cafe ? Is this worth to own this franchise ?
(http://yofreshyogurtcafe.com)

Anonymous March 19, 2012 at 5:11 pm

@san- What irks me is that they have only SIX open stores to date. Be very very wary of so called “franchisors” that have such few stores and want to franchise the concept. They’re usually out to make a quick buck. Experience is key. I don’t see any here. When I click on “About us” on the main website of a franchised yogurt shop, and there is no pertinent, personal and DETAILED information listed about the operation itself, I usually just laugh and move on. i.e. Where did it start? When? How? Management names and experience?

Michelle March 30, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Any thoughts on Yogurtini?

Ambrosio April 1, 2012 at 7:42 am

Hi Michelle,

Sorry, but I don’t know anything about Yogurtini, although I have read the name before. Let me dig a little further and see what I can find.

Thanks for dropping by!

Frank April 1, 2012 at 11:05 am

Great site and information. I’ve been doing extensive research on several franchisors. Even with FDD review, some line items are difficult to determine when trying to establish the initial capital investment from what they claim on their web sites. What do you need “actual” cash v. what can be financed? i.e – Yogurtland’s average for equipment and fixtures is $166,000. Do the yogurt machine companies offer financing, Also, having been in the commercial real estate business for over 20 years . . . architect plans seem to average about $11k. This seems high – do you typically use the franchisors architect or retain your own. Same Q for contractor and going to bid. Oh, just one other Q: Being an owner of commercial property/landlord – the Yogurtland initial expense – Item 7:Real Estate Rent and deposit needs clarification (3k – 20k). Using an example of a typical leasing deal in a good market location: Rent @ 4,000/mo and security of 3/ms = 60k and there is usually an additional figure for Common Area Maintenance:CAM. Also, most commercial leases have annual adjustments of 3 – 5%. Can you shed some light on this very unrealistic rent projection.

Ambrosio April 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Hi Frank,

Great questions! I don’t have any personal knowledge of how things work at Yogurtland, so I can only speak from my own personal experience as a franchisee of The UPS Store.

1. It’s quite possible that you can get equipment financing either through the franchisor or the vendor. I certainly did for everything that I could get in-house financing for, just to reduce my initial investment.

2. The franchisor will usually recommend an architect and contractor that they’ve worked with before. In my case, I just went with the recommended professionals because my goal was to get my store up and running ASAP (I only received one month of free rent from my landlord). I didn’t want to take the risk of choosing someone without any experience building out UPS Stores. In the case of Yogurtland, they offer 3 levels of support when it comes to build-out, with varying fees due to the franchisor. The cheapest option will probably allow you to choose your own architect or contractor, but it’s best to check with the franchisor first.

3. I checked Yogurtland’s FDD. The estimate of $3,000 to $20,000 covers “rent for approximately 3 months, security deposit, and last month’s rent.” So that would total 5 months of rent. The high end of the range is $20,000 — when divided by 5 comes out to $4,000 a month in rent. This is merely an estimate but it doesn’t sound unreasonable to me, although the monthly rent could be significantly higher in some markets like San Francisco. (In my case, my first check to the landlord covered the first month’s rent, last month’s rent, and one month’s rent as security deposit.) The estimate does not take into account Common Area Maintenance, and the annual escalation clause won’t apply until the end of the first year, so it’s usually not included under the initial investment section.

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with more direct information could shed more light on this?

Francis Pryor April 4, 2012 at 5:40 am

I think starting a frozen yogurt franchise just might be a great option if you are craving ice cream, but want something a little healthier. Frozen yogurt is similar to ice cream in the sense that the textures and flavors are a lot alike. While sherbet and ice cream have been around for quite some time, frozen yogurt seems to be making a nice entrance to the world of frozen confections.

Indhira April 16, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Great article. My husband and I want to open a shop in Dominican Rep. We want to target kids. Beside menchies what good alternativa you know, choices with a character and things like that? What do you think about sweet frog?

Ambrosio April 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Thanks, Indhira! Frozen yogurt places tend to be kid magnets, so even if the franchise doesn’t specifically target kids in its marketing materials, families with young kids will still be the predominant customer base. Menchie’s is the most aggressive in going after the kids’ market, with their mascot and free collectible toys. But other fro yo brands can attract the family market just as well. Not familiar with Sweet Frog though.

Lesley Barnes April 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm

What about the GOLDEN SPOON? They have been around for 25+ years selling the best tasting frozen yogurt here in Orange County Ca! Everyone knows they have the best product, service and prices too!

Ambrosio April 21, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hi Lesley,

A franchise like Golden Spoon that has been around for over 25 years is certainly doing a lot of things right! Golden Spoon, along with TCBY, belongs to the first wave of frozen yogurt brands that originated in the 1980’s. For some reason, Golden Spoon isn’t generating as much excitement as the major players in this current wave. But I would certainly choose Golden Spoon over the dozens of “me-too” self-serve frozen yogurt franchises that have been popping up all over.

I like Golden Spoon’s weightless pricing scheme, where customers can fill a small ($3), medium ($4), or large ($5) cup with as much frozen yogurt and toppings that can fit, regardless of weight. That’s something unique to Golden Spoon right now.

Are their stores generating as much business as those of Yogurtland, Menchie’s, Orange Leaf, and TCBY? I guess that’s the key question. They may serve the best product but if they are not resonating with today’s consumers, then more work needs to be done to get their message out there.

Indhira May 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Hi Ambrosio, Indhira again. Can you check sweet frog web page and give your opinion. I like their image but they are small and only in a few states. The web pages has around 90 opening caming and around 60 open. Most of the ones open are on the Virginia, where they started. I am afraid that they may desapear when competing with bigger brands. Or is that a size of a company that will endure? Please give your opinion about their future, their image and market posicion

Ambrosio May 7, 2012 at 12:08 am

Hi Indhira,

Okay, I will visit their website and see what jumps out at me. To be honest, I’d never heard of Sweet Frog before, but there are just so many smaller frozen yogurt franchises out there that it’s hard to keep track. What I want to see is something unique in their concept, branding, or execution. Been swamped with tasks this past week, but will work on this soon!

Thanks for dropping by!

Katie June 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I wrote at the bottom about Sweet Frog. It started in 2009 in the middle of the horrible economy. I am from Richmond, VA where the first one was started and I have been to several locations all over VA, and just as a consumer, it is a great company, I am even considering joining to open my own…that’s how i found this blog, doing research. Every time I have been to any of the locations, and I go quite often, the line is almost out the door ! Just this past Sunday, we went and stayed for about 30-45 mins, the place stayed packed!

Ryan mastrodon May 6, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Anyone check out http://www.YoGoFactory.com?
Very nice product, store, experience and social and web presence with an extremely fast growth rate.

Bunmi Akinyemi May 6, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Hello Ambrosio, remember asking about yoghurt mix and you mentioned Yocream. Well I think they are a very good company and I was opportune to attend their Yocream University training. Learnt a lot about the frozen yoghurt industry and starting a yoghurt shop. It’s a good training for anyone who wants to start a yoghurt shop. I would like to ask if you know anything about Forte Frozen yoghurt machine? Stumbled upon them online and they sell machines that are a lot cheaper than the Electrofreeze and Taylors. Any info on them? Thanks

Ambrosio May 8, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Hi Bunmi,

Great to hear your feedback on Yocream! I don’t know anything about Forte Frozen yogurt machines, but I’m currently working on an interview with Yogurt in Love, which offers traditional franchises, as well as a complete equipment package where the buyer can operate under their own brand (i.e. without having to operate as a Yogurt in Love franchisee). It’s a unique business model that I’m really curious about. Please check back within the next 2 weeks for my exclusive interview. Would love to hear what you think.

Bunmi Akinyemi May 9, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Thanks Ambrosio. I would love the info on yogurt in love. They offered me a franchise that was too good to be true.

Ann May 10, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Hi Ambrosio,

I’m about to open an independent frozen yogurt shop and all your info here is great! First, true entrepreneurs can succeed in any market without a franchise. But I would like to know if you have any feedback on electrofreeze machines. I know you will be interviewing Yogurt in Love so please let me know how their program works.

Ambrosio May 11, 2012 at 1:42 am

Hi Ann,

Good luck with your new venture! That’s very exciting.

Yogurt in Love has 2 distinct business models: one is the traditional franchise model, and the other is an equipment package model. The interview will discuss both options and should be ready within the next 2 weeks. Please stay tuned for that.

I haven’t heard any feedback on Electrofreeze machines, unfortunately. I’ve been more focused on the franchise side of things.

All the best to you and your new venture, Ann!

GWYN May 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Ambrosio,
Hello, I have been following your conversation on here. I am also very interested in opening a frozen yogurt franchise and the concept by Yogurt in Love is intriguing. I cannot wait to see what they have to say to you.

Gwyn

Kim Cline May 24, 2012 at 6:34 am

Hello, Ambrosio,

What do you know about Di’lishi? They recently opened a self serve yogurt bar in North Carolina. It is very nice and modern with televisions and Internet access. They offer 4o+ flavors and the widest variety of toppings I have found yet. I searced the Internet for a website and franchise info but only found a facebook page.

Thanks

Marlo Francis September 25, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Hi Kim,
I was searching the web for our name and was linked to this question. We would love to talk to you about our franchise, and we’re so happy you enjoyed your experience with us. We will be opening our 4th store this week, in Lenoir, NC. We’re growing strong with a firm foundation, and our website will be launching soon. Please feel free to contact us at franchise@dilishi.com
Thanks again!

Lola Okunrinboye May 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hello Ambriso,
Great information you have here. I don’t see you mention Rita’s and everyone seem to be talking about them lately. I have been thinking about buying a franchise for the past few years, i have visited couple of franchise shows, and cannot seem to decide which one is the most safe to follow. Any thoughts on Ritas? Any updates on Yogurt in Love? i think that will be a great concept to think about. Thanks again

Ambrosio May 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Hi Lola,

I’ve written about Rita’s Italian Ice before and I like the concept. They were acquired by a private equity group several months back, so I expect a more aggressive growth plan from them going forward. Rita’s is a franchise I would like to learn more about.

The Yogurt in Love interview has hit a snag, unfortunately. After sending off my interview questions, I never heard back from the company. Too bad, was really looking forward to learning more about their concept. But I’ve seen this happen before, and sometimes the interview still happens in the end. But not always :-( I’ll send a second follow-up email to them. Fingers crossed.

Ambrosio May 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

Hi friends and frozen yogurt fans,

Great news! The Yogurt in Love interview is just about ready, and it’s worth the wait! :-) I have a full line-up of posts next week, so watch out for the YIL interview the week of June 4. Thanks for your patience, guys!

Lola Okunrinboye May 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

Thanks again Ambrosio for the information. Looking forward to read all about Yogurt in Love.

Cheers
Lola

chris June 2, 2012 at 2:19 am

Which one better to open Menchis or tutti futti frozen yougut ?

Marcus June 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Hello, I am a frequent customer at Yotropolis frozen yougurt, I was wondering your thoughts on the company?

Franchise Chatter June 14, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Hi Marcus,

Sorry, but I’d never heard of Yotropolis before now. What do you like about it?

Katie June 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I have been to Sweet Frog several times and in several locations all over VA. Each location I have been to has been very clean, friendly, and absolutely delicious! A couple from South Korea decided to open up a store in 2009… When economy was horrible, they named it Sweet Frog, because they are Christian based and wanted to bring happiness to other people, and basically put all their trust in God that their new business would succeed in the bad economy, hence the name Sweet Fully Rely On God.
Great product, great company! And I’m just a consumer!

JD June 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Katie, I’ve seen a couple of Sweet Frog stores here in Virginia. They are ok. They are what I call “shoebox” FroYo stores.

There’s another chain starting out here in Virginia called Crave Frozen Yogurt. Crave is pretty cool. They’re stores are as good or better than the best (which I think is Menchies). They seem to be growing quickly.

Richard December 18, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thanks for mentioning Crave Frozen Yogurt, JD.

I’m the founder of Crave and appreciate you comparing us to Menchies. Our goal was to create a beautiful, top of the line store, and yet keep the price to open closer to $150,000 than Menchie’s $450,000.

If anyone has any questions about Crave, or just the industry in general, drop us a line. http://www.CraveFrozenYogurt.com.

Richard

Franchise Chatter December 18, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for dropping by. We would love to feature Crave Frozen Yogurt in our Fro-Yo Files section. Can you get in touch with me at franchisechatterblog@gmail.com?

Looking forward to speaking with you.

Lola Okunrinboye June 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hello Ambrosio,
It’ me Lola again. I bumbed into another yogurt brand called Caliyogurt. Its not a franchise buy they seem to have a good concept and the ambience is great. They are not a franchise but they seem pretty flexible. There is one for sale and I am really interested, however I am not sure if I should look for a broker for help or someone who knows about the yogurt business for guidance. The seller’s broker is really great, however I want to make sure I am making the right decision. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Lola

Franchise Chatter June 28, 2012 at 7:39 am

Hi Lola,

Great to hear from you! Yes, I think it would be better if you have someone looking out for your interest as the buyer. A lot of listing brokers are willing to split commissions with the buyer’s broker, so that shouldn’t be a problem. But keep in mind that even your broker is incentivized to get the deal done because he (or she) only gets his share of the commission if the sale goes through (unless he agrees to be compensated in some other way).

You can approach a broker with some business valuation experience to look over the prospectus for a fixed fee to help you identify warning signs. Of course, this will cost you money, but the alternative can end up being more painful — getting stuck with a lemon.

You are actually the third person within the past 48 hours who has expressed a need for help/advice on purchasing a frozen yogurt business. I currently don’t have an advisory service set up, but am seriously considering it. I just have to work out the logistics of it.

Best of luck with your due diligence, and let us know how things go.

Lola Okunrinboye July 4, 2012 at 8:04 am

Thank you Ambrosio. I really think you should set up an advisory setup with the wealth of knowledge you have. It will help many of us who want to go into that business. I asked a question about Cali yogurt and I wasn’t sure if you knew anything about them. Thank you again.
Lola

Franchise Chatter July 4, 2012 at 8:29 am

Hi Lola,

Thank you very much for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate it.

No, I don’t know anything about Cali yogurt. It’s hard to keep track of all the brands :-) I’ll make sure to check out their website though. One name that is often mentioned by my readers is Sweet FROG. That’s the next one on my list of franchises to study.

Ali July 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Hi Ambrosio,

I want to open a frozen yogurt place in Connecticut. I wanted to open a pink berry but their franchise requirements are hard to meet.

Is there another reputable franchise that you would reccomend to open in Connecticut?Please help.
And what are your thoughts on opening another pink berry in CT(I have been to their Fairfield, CT store and they are pretty busy).

Franchise Chatter July 18, 2012 at 1:16 am

Hi Ali,

Have you considered Yogurtland or Menchie’s? These are two of the top names in the self-serve frozen yogurt category, and they have good momentum. Might be worth checking out to see if they are a good fit for your neighborhood in CT.

Rachel August 24, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Was just curious if you have found out anything about Yogurt in love???

Franchise Chatter August 24, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Hi Rachel,

Yes, I did a Q&A interview with the founder of Yogurt in Love, Sylvan Newby, a couple of months back.

Please check it out here: http://www.franchisechatter.com/2012/06/04/yogurt-in-love-waives-initial-franchise-fee-for-first-25-franchisees-says-founder-sylvan-newby/

Josh September 2, 2012 at 2:27 pm

It’s good idea to invest in a yo-lish franchise?

Hazan October 16, 2012 at 12:01 am

What about ” MOOLALA. ” our favorite Froyo in Merrick Long Island ……

Dennis December 27, 2012 at 6:18 pm

It should be noted that Orange Leaf does not sell “real” yogurt. But they sell soft-serve made in each store’s kitchen using powder and water. There are no probiotic health benefits from Orange Leaf’s soft-serve since it does not have the healthy active cultures.

Voytek December 28, 2012 at 1:51 am

Dennis, below is what the Orange Leaf Yogurt company says about how they make their yogurt and they claim they use fat free milk vs. water you note. Also, if OL uses powder what do other yogurt companies use? I thought they all use powder…Anyhow, I am new to this but interested in a potential franchise opportunity with one of these companies. Any clarification and/or insight would be appreciated…Same from U Ambrosio.

Thanks!

“Is your frozen yogurt made from a powder?
Our product is made from a dehydrated yogurt base, prepared fresh daily with fat free milk and mixed up in our one-of-a-kind serving machines that make for a richer, creamier treat like no other.”

Camila March 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

How about yogurberry?????

Franchise Chatter March 6, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Hi Camilla,

I am not familiar with Yogurberry. There are just far too many local and regional brands to keep track of. What do you think of the franchise? I prefer brands with national reach, but I’m certainly interested in learning what you think of Yogurberry.

Vienna March 13, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about opening a franchised frozen yogurt. Have you heard of Yogurt City? What would you recommend in Virginia?

Thanks in advance!

Vienna

Franchise Chatter March 13, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Hi Vienna,

Thanks for your note. I am not familiar with Yogurt City. Please check back in a few weeks for our updated list of top frozen yogurt franchises. We are working on the report now, and it should be ready by early April. Best of luck with your research in the meantime.

Vienna March 14, 2013 at 8:59 am

Thank you!

I really like Pinkberry, Menchie’s and Tutti Frutti. But, these doesn’t seem too recognizable in the Virginia area. I wanted to franchise with a well recognized name brand that has great success, so that I am not dumping my money in the water. Looking toward to hear from you with your research & report!

Thanks in advance!

Vienna

Vienna March 15, 2013 at 6:35 am

I was just wondering what is the difference between Tutti Frutti vs Tuttimelon. Because their logos, cup designs and spoons are very much alike, are they any related? Or, which one is more well recognized in the U.S, and in Virginia area?

Thanks!

Vienna

Franchise Chatter March 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Hi Vienna,

As far as I can tell, these are two separate companies. Tuttimelon’s headquarters are in San Francisco, while Tutti Frutti’s is somewhere in Southern California. This is the first time I’ve heard of Tuttimelon, so I would think that Tutti Frutti is the more well recognized of the two. I don’t think either of them is as well known as some of the national brands like Yogurtland, Menchie’s, Orange Leaf, Pinkberry, and Red Mango. As for which one is more popular in Virginia, best thing to do is to ask around in your neighborhood.

KCD April 17, 2013 at 10:17 am

I have the same question about Yogurberry as Camila. Can you look over their financials and let me know what you think: http://www.yogurberry.com/usa/

Franchise Chatter April 17, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hi KCD,

Unfortunately, not all franchises make financial performance representations in their Item 19 (it is optional for franchisors). I have a list of franchises with Item 19 disclosures and Yogurberry is not on that list. However if there is anyone who has a copy of their FDD and can confirm that they make Item 19 disclosures, please send over a copy of the FDD, and I would be happy to make a comparative analysis.

But having said, I avoid recommending a franchise if I’m not sure they will still be around and thriving over the long term. Yogurberry has not risen above the hundreds of other brands in the space. This space will consolidate, and there is a risk that many of the smaller players will not survive.

May I know why you like Yogurberry in particular? What do they have that the other major brands do not?

priyanka April 24, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hi Ambrosio,

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and its really helpful.
Which self serve model is good at this time ? I want to open a Franchise store in Indianapolis area and considering Red Mango or Orange Leaf ? Which one I should go with or some other Franchise is good (Pinkberry, Menchies) .
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Franchise Chatter April 24, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hi Priyanka,

Thank you for your message. Check out our recent list of the top frozen yogurt franchises for 2013:

Another list worth looking into is Fro-Yo Girl’s top picks:

Both of these lists were posted just this month (April 2013).

Best of luck with your due diligence.

priyanka April 24, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Appreciate your quick response.

Thanks

Mark May 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Hands down, the best yogurt company is a little 4 store chain in the Columbus Ohio area. Cuzzins yogurt is the best one I have ever been in and I have been in all the ones mentioned. I love fro yo, across the country. Thanks for listening.

Jack June 15, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Just got back to columbus OH, found the cutest and best tasting yogurt place in myrtle beach, Yogurt In Love, so awesome!!!